Where Would I Be Without You

~Echo’s POV~

                The man with the perfectly tousled raven hair and the cute spattering of freckles on his boyish face was in shackles sitting in the middle of a transport navy ship taking in his last view of the sea and the feel of the fresh briny breeze on his skin. He looked away from the ocean and his dark gaze met mine causing my heart to skip a beat. His eyes widened in awe and I gaped as he mouthed my name. How did he know my name? Could he see me, was that even possible? But wasn’t this in the future? My brain began to hurt at the thought and I forced myself to look away from him.

                The nearby marines were talking about an upcoming execution, Ace’s execution. I froze in terror as the news sunk in. They were going to execute him?

                I woke with a panicked cry and bolted out of the cozy ultra plush bed I’d been dozing off in. Where was I? What had happened? A yelp escaped me as a strong arm wound around my waist and I was pulled into a strong embrace.

                “Echo.” Shanks’ smooth calming voice instantly relaxed me. He sounded tired and haggard as if he hadn’t slept in days and I quickly wriggled out of his hold to look him over.

                There were dark circles beneath his dulled dark eyes. “What happened to you?” I asked worried.

                He threw me a tired smile and placed his hand in mine, “I’m just glad you’re alright.” His voice was whisper soft as he gently rested his head against my shoulder.

                Panic began to settle in as he suddenly slumped against me, “Shanks?!” I called out frantically as he became unresponsive.

                A soft snore escaped him as his bedroom door flew open so the first mate and sniper could pour into the room. “What’s wrong?”

                I looked down to the crimson haired captain with his head resting against my shoulder and sighed in relief, he was just sleeping. “He just fell asleep.”

                “Well it’s about time.” Yassop chuckled, “He’s been worrying over you for the past two days.”

                Two days? I was unconscious for two days?

                “We should let him sleep.” Benn suggested as he and Yassop turned to leave.

                “Hey! Wait.” I hissed softly, “Get him off of me.”

                “No way, brat. He’ll be cranky if we wake him up.” Yassop grinned.

                “You’ve got to be kidding me.” I growled, “What am I supposed to do?”

                “Don’t move too much.” Benn offered.

                “And keep your voice down.” Yassop teased. “Sweet dreams.” He waved behind him as he and the first mate turned and exited the room.

                Shanks’ arm wound around my waist and in the next instant I found myself being pulled back down to the bed and into his strong embrace. My heart pounded uncomfortably in my chest as I found myself trapped against him my small delicate body pressed up against his lean muscular frame, our faces almost touching due to our closeness.

                “Are you sure you’re sleeping?” I breathed softly as I tried to struggle out of his grip, but he was much too strong.

                Aside from another soft snore I got no reply. And so I was forced to lay there until the captain either woke up or released me from his hold. A small smile wormed its way onto my lips, it wasn’t so bad. It felt nice being wrapped in his warm embrace. My body molded perfectly against his and it gave me the chance to stare at him without having to look away because he caught me. I studied his perfectly chiseled face as he slept and found myself relaxing more and more against him.

                “I don’t know where I’d be without you.” I whispered and placed a gentle kiss to his lips before giving up on waiting for him to release me and snuggling into his embrace.