The Research Before the Test

Since there is currently a snow storm rolling through I figured I'd update.

The story that I am currently working on is written in a past tense omniscient viewpoint therefore I apologize in advance if I slipped up on the tenses.

Breena

      Scottie trots in front of us on our way home his bushy tail wagging and his nose to the road sniffing. Scottie stops dead in front of us, it is a good thing Caleo is paying attention and manages to avoid making a Scottie pancake. I call his name but he doesn't even look back his eyes are locked to the right of the road, his hackles are up and for the first time in all the years I've known him the growl coming from his throat scares me.

      I look to the left and the right scanning the tall dead grass looking for what has set my dog into a tizzy but see nothing. Then the grass rustles and a massive black dog erupts from the grass and lands in our path facing Scottie who lets out a feral snarl. The Black Dog is as big as a three month old calf but with hulking mass, it is covered in a rug of shaggy, black fur, its lips curl back in a snarl and its eyes that glow like hot coals glare at Scottie. Caleo is quivering beneath me frozen in her fear.

      Scottie is less than half the Fey dog's size but he doesn't back down, he takes a step forward and lets loose a whole new wave of growls. The Black Dog responds. I watch frozen as the two animals posture trying to decide who is the weaker of the two, I am sure that Scottie will not win this fight. But much to my surprise the Black Dog lowers its head and turns to run off the way it came.

      Caleo and I stand frozen as Scottie walks back to our side and sits staring up at me like nothing ever happened. I have no way of knowing why the Black Dog didn't attack and without Kean I will have no answer. After a couple deep breaths and some soothing words to my mare I recover enough to continue on towards home though Caleo is nervous and twitchy shying at shadows and bushes the entire ride home.

Kean

      I've taken to riding Cinis along the cliffs just before sunset which allows me to avoid seeing Breena but the late rides are really starting to wear me out and three nights in the last week alone I've been called to help with the Fey. The Sidhe have been more restless than usual, most of the beaches have been roped off to keep tourists safe, flat tires have been abundant along with missing items. There have also been five deaths attributed to the Black Dogs - all tourists - and two disappearances that have been thought to be Pooka related. Just last night one of the small farm houses burnt to the ground with three people inside, they called me out but there was nothing I could do, even I can't walk through fire.

      I rub my eyes and sigh quietly. I'm tired of babysitting the rich mainlanders who come to Allard's to look into buying horses or sending theirs out for training or breeding. I did not take this job to babysit overgrown children and their children. When Dunkin trots into the yard I'm torn between wanting to smile and strangle him. I know he's been off with Breena which worries me but he's become my ally, almost a friend nonetheless he is also an Elf, one of the eldest Sidhe; we should not be friends.

      A hand wraps around my elbow, I can tell without looking that it is Marissa, I don't know anyone else with claws like hers. "What?" I ask without looking at her.

"You're always so cranky lately," she whines, "I think we should go for a ride, maybe it will cheer you up."

      I roll my eyes, "I'm working."

      "You're always working."

      I jerk my arm away and fight a smile when Dunkin starts for the barn giving me a plan to get away, "I have to talk with Dunkin," I tell her and start off in his direction. "Dunkin," he pauses and looks over his shoulder at me his whirling green eyes unnerving me slightly, "I need to talk with you." He lets me catch up and we make for Cisco's stall in silence, I lean against the open door.