Pixie Dust

Sidhe mentioned in this chapter

Pixies: Small Sidhe that tend to flowers and small plants using their enchanting voices to help them grow. Their only form is a glowing ball of light the size of a golf ball, they usually ignore humans - unless humans are posing a threat to their flower - but do tend to be mischievous and cause minor problems at times especially in the autumn.

Kean

      I'll see if I can make it. I don't know why I said it, I guess I didn't want to seem too eager but I would defiantly be making my way to her house for dinner tomorrow.

      Dunkin's elbow finds its way into my ribs, "Now I know why you really ride on the beach every day," he laughed.

      I shrug him off and go to collect my winnings Cinis pacing beside me.

_

      I wake sweating and panting, the cold fingers of the nightmare still clawing at my mind, blood and flames still paints the back of my eyelids. I lean back against my pillows shaken. It takes me a moment to realize it is the persistent knocking at my front door that has pulled me from my nightmare. I groan and pull a pillow over my head hissing when the motion sends sparks of pain through my shoulder.

      "Kean, you better get the door now or so help me," Neve doesn't finish her sentence but she doesn't have to, I am already up tripping over stacks of books on my way to the front door.

      I glance at the old grandfather clock ticking away in the living room as I pass by, it is only three o'clock, I should have another hour to sleep. I swing the door open to find Harold Cheever a small, mousy, middle aged man with glasses with his hand poised to knock again.

       "Can I help you?" I ask as his hand drops down to his side.

      His eyes shift nervously from side to side and his hands pluck at the flannel pajama pants he wears, "I was told you could help with the faeries," he says his voice shaking slightly, "we've never had a problem before. But this morning we woke up to the sound of singing but we couldn't understand the words and when I got up to find out what was going on," he gulps, "my kids. They were dancing and chanting and we couldn't get them to stop, their eyes were glazed over blue and they were oblivious to everything. When they finally stopped they passed out and we can't wake them."

      I rubbed my eyes, "Give me a minute I need to grab a few things," I tell him, "you can wait inside." I let him step in around me and I shut the door. Leaving him in the entry way I jog to my room to grab my blood stiffened jacket and stuff my pockets with what I'll need. I shove my feet in my boots tucking the laces in I yell a goodbye to Neve and we are out the door.

      Harold has to jog to keep up with my long strides, the world around us is still blanketed in darkness and chilled with frost. I have an idea about what might be going on and I hope I am right because an easy fix would be greatly appreciated. My pockets are heavier than usual as they are filled with extra items. The Cheever's house comes into view, a little brick one story house with light flooding from all the windows.

      He fumbles with the door knob for a moment before throwing it open and leading me into the house and down the hall. Gerta Cheever paces in the hall in front of a closed door, "Can you help them?" she asks with a shaking voice.

      My hand finds the doorknob, "I'm going to try."

      I open the door, my left hand playing with the iron bell chain in my pocket ready to use if the need arises as I am not entirely sure what to expect. The room is bathed in a soft blue-green glow, two small beds are pushed against the wall each one occupied by a small girl laying face up on the bed. I make my way to the bed closest to the door, the girl can't be older than five, her blond hair is draped over her pillow in tangled curls. Her face is impassive and her eyes are unseeing blue marbles; no whites, no irises, no pupils, just flat blue. The other little girl is slightly older, maybe seven or eight, she is in the same condition as her sister though instead of blue her eyes are green. I check their pulses which are normal and shine a pen light in their eyes to which I get no response.