Straight into the Lion's Jaws

Here's the next chapter! Let me know what you think in the comments and if there is ever any questions on equine terminology or questions about the mythological aspects of the story I'll be happy to clear things up :) Enjoy! Also the next update will probably be on Tuesday as Wednesday is going to be an insanely busy day for me.

Kean

      I don't hear the rest of his sentence over my tack hitting the ground. Springing forward I shove him out of my way and dart for the back ring finally understanding what was happening; Marissa is going to get someone killed. When I reach the fence I skid to a stop quickly taking in the scene unfolding before me. Marvin Allard standing by the gate watching as four men attempt to keep all four of Avi's feet on the ground while Marissa tries to mount. Avi squeals and rears striking out at the men who stand sweating and panting with their heels digging into the ground as they struggle against the Augisky. Avi's eyes roll and Marissa grabs the reins trying to get her foot in the stirrup. I see Avi's muscles twitch under her sweat sheened coat and I know what was about to happen seconds before it does.

      I vault over the fence and my legs propel me over the sand. I push my muscles harder and dart between Avi and her intended victim. I grab the leather lead from the boy's hand and shove him out of her reach bracing myself. I feel the pressure of teeth piercing my right shoulder but the adrenalin pumping through my body masks the pain. I twist in her grip pulling a cloth from my pocket, I pull it over her eyes and press my rings into her cheek whispering sharply words of release. Her jaws unlock and her head lowers slowly. I keep her eyes covered and motion for the stable boys to back away. A mellow rumble thrums in her chest as her muscles relax and the panicked bloodlust fades from her mind.

      "Hold her while I mount," Marissa orders breaking the calm.

      Avi's head shoots up still blinded knocking me in the chin. I spit blood from my newly split lip onto the ground and try to keep my voice calm, "Marissa, if you don't step away from this Augisky right now I will not be able to stop her from killing you. Now back off."

      She stares at me mouth agape. In all the years I've known her and in all the times she'd pissed me off I've never spoken to her so venomously. Wordlessly she backs away. I turn my attention back to Avi. She is unsure but calming again her breaths steady. We begin a slow walk to the barn, the red cloth still tied around her eyes, my voice still whispering in her ear. Everyone clears out of our path silently. We make it into her stall before the scent of my blood registers to her, I can tell by the way her nostrils flare and her lips quiver. I rub my rings winndershins on her cheek and press her against the back wall. I call quietly for Riley who promptly slips in with me untacking Avi quietly and fluidly in record time. When he finishes and safely retreats I slip the bridle off while keeping the cloth in place until the last second. As soon as she has her vision back she lunges at me but I am out the door bolting it faster than she can move.

      I lean tiredly against the wall of the stall, Avi's teeth clanking against the bars. The adrenalin is fading fast and the pain in my shoulder makes itself known burning and stinging fiercely. I peel back the tattered cloth covering it and look at the wound; I'm sure it's deep but with the amount of blood flowing out of it I cannot tell how deep. My right side is stained red and I can see where the mare and I walked by the trail of blood smudged and spattered on the floor. It hurts like a bitch but I have had worse, it will heal.

      I walk into my office and the clock reads three thirty in the afternoon, the ordeal with Avi took longer than I had thought. I sigh and shuck my jacket and shirt trying to stifle a groan; I have to get the wound cleaned out because while Augiskys aren't poisonous they do have a bacteria filled bite which can easily cause an infection. Though most humans would need stitches and medications, as long as I avoid infection I will be able to heal it and it should work just fine in a week or two. I go to the little bathroom attached to my office running a towel under the tap I apply it to my shoulder with a hiss. Soon the bleeding has stopped and I have cleaned it as well as I can, as I finish securing the vet wrap around it to hold the gauze in place I hear a knock on the door.