The Debt Collector

Hello! I'm going to try to keep up with updating twice a week, once on the weekend and once during the week, I work two jobs and I'm in college so I'm not going to promise specific days because it will vary with my schedule week to week. Any feedback is more than welcome, enjoy the next chapter :)

Kean

      I am no worse for wear after the encounter. I was able to convince the Aughisky that the freedom of the sea and the caress of the currents is far better than anything the land had to offer. After I walk it a ways into the water I turn expecting to see Breena behind me. But she is not there.

      My eyes scan the beach but she is not there. My eyes scan the water and see a dark patch in the water, my blood freezes over but my muscles spring into action splashing through the water. The patch isn't blood like I first thought but hair, long dark hair floating in the water. I plunge my hands into the icy water and find her shoulders dragging her above the surface.

      Her face is pale and her eyes closed, her lips are blue, she isn't breathing. Not another death on my hands, I can't let that happen. Then she coughs, salt water rushes out of her lungs back into the sea. I sigh in relief. Her eyes flutter open, blue and dazed.

      When she speaks her voice is rough with salt, "Why is the sky purple?" she asks blinking disoriented.

      Something warm and wet seeps onto the hand that holds up her head, blood, she must have hit her head. I sigh and help her up but she staggers as soon as we take a step, we need to get out of the water before another Sidhe decides to take advantage of her weakness. I scoop her up, she is small, I've carried heavier hay bales. She protests slightly but she is still dazed.

      Once we get back on the beach I set her down on a rock so I can take a look at her head. "What happened to the Aughisky?" she rasps regaining a grasp on what happened.

      "I sent him back to the sea," I tell her twisting her wet hair out of the way. She must have gotten hit just behind the right ear, the skin was scrapped and bleeding but not too bad, she would live. "You hit your head pretty good huh," I rocked back onto my heels to study her eyes, they are more focused then they were a minute ago but she probably has a concussion. I hold up three fingers, "How many fingers am I holding up?"

      She cocks her eyebrow annoyed with me "Three." Her eyes shoot open all of a sudden "Caleo! Where is she?" she tries to get up and almost falls again.

      "She's fine; she's at the top of the path waiting for you," I reassure softly. I help her prop herself against a rock. Movement a little ways down the beach catches my eye, a figure flickering like a spark. A weary sigh escapes me, I knew when I got up that it would be a long day but it just kept getting longer. "I'll be right back," I say leaving Breena on the rock to regain her balance.

      The sand sticks to my wet clothing and stings my face when the wind tosses it up. Ciná waits for me near the cliff path, the air around him distorted by the heat he radiates. He grins at me when I get to him, I do not return the gesture. "Little brother, what do we have here? Finally found a better ride than that stallion? I didn't know you had it in you."

      "What do you want Ciná? I'm a little busy saving my kind from your kind."

      "Ooh, testy! Is that anyway to talk to someone who gave so much to save you from yourself? As for what I want, I want your heart, I want Cinis. But I might just take that little one over there;" he points to a spot behind me, "it might buy you a few years."

      I follow the path of his finger with my eyes, he is pointing at Breena. Anger jolts up my spine, "I won't sacrifice anyone to you."

      His lips curl triumphantly, "Ah, so you care about her."