A choice and a child

Draco's POV

I held them both in my arms.

That is what I remember the most.

So many times before, I held them while they drifted to sleep. Her bushy brown hair I had always made fun of fanned out behind her on the pillows we shared.

His small frame and blond hair, a black and white photocopy of me with much

more colour than the original. Wrapped in my arms while I calmed myself to the quiet noises of the night.

Now I saw a painted picture of then, in all the wrong light.

Her hair tied up behind her, blood staining the ends.

Small strands that covered her face and stuck to her cheeks with tears.

His small frame. Riddled with scars he did nothing to earn. His blond hair almost grey. His heartbeat faint.

A black and white photocopy of the original, the pain I had felt for so long before displayed on him like a canvas.

I held them and whispered to her, calming her to quiet noises of when we were

safe.

***

I couldn't tell if the entire room was holding its breath, or if it was just me.

Astoria held the key like it was a bomb, turning her head away. Renee licked her lips. The death eaters stared.

Hermione sobbed silently.

Astoria looked at me. Though I hated her with everything I was, she had been my wife for years. Like any couple does, we knew how to communicate without speaking.

Her eyes found mine and she raised her eyebrows slightly. The face she was making would be very entertaining to watch had I not known what it meant.

I closed my eyes, then opened them slowly.

Renee sighed. "Are you two done undressing each other with your eyes? Geez..."

She stomped her foot. "Freaking hell, Astoria, give it to me."

Astoria froze, looking to me. I nodded.

Time passed between one blink and another. Astoria threw the key towards me. I flicked my hand.

The tiny brass object exploded into a hundred fireworks.

Death Eaters rushed us, and we dived for our wands. Legendary John, startled, dropped the wands and stepped back. I grabbed at them, threw Astoria's to her, pointed my own at the advancing Death Eaters. Spell after spell was fired. Never avada, if I could help it. I had learnt that from Hermione.

Renee and Astoria dueled ahead of me. Green flashes of light flew from both their wands. Both were fighting to kill.

Many of Renee's henchmen disapparated, too scared to fight. I remembered the imperius curse and pointed my wand at Ron. His eyes cleared and he shook his head. Then, registering what had happened, he pulled out his wand with a nod to me and deflected a curse from the death eater behind him. Back into the fight.

I turned to Hermione and Scorpius, helped her carry him.

"You need to get out of here. Take him back home, apparate but be careful, get help. I know you want to stay and fight but I can't let you." I lay a hand on her swollen belly. "Hermione?"

She stared at me. Her mouth hung slightly open.

"Hermione, what's wrong?" I spun on heel, stupefied the death eater coming up behind me. He fell dramatically on his nose. The one behind him looked at me, then though better of it and with a glance at Renee to make sure her back was turned, he spun on the spot and vanished.

I looked back at my fiancé.

"Hermione, you need to go!" My hand reached for her cheek and I cupped her face, trying to read what was wrong.

She blinked once.

"My water just broke."

***

At St Mungo's, a small group of healers were donning on their lime-green robes with incredible speed and waving their wands to collect up their potion kits and cauldrons. They had just received word from their boss of a witch going into labour, and her son in critical danger of blood loss, unable to get the hospital.

With outstretched hands they held onto one another and turned on the spot.

With a pop they vanished, and appeared several miles away at the Malfoy boy's estate.

***

The elf Pokey briefed them on their way in.

"Master and mistress got back only a short while ago. Little master is with them, but I do not think he is conscious. He had sectumsempra used on him. In there."

They had reached the top of the stairs. Pokey pointed to the door on his left, then stepped back to let them pass.

"Thank you" said a healer on the way past.

The door was knocked on, pushed open. The bedroom was dim; no time had been allowed for lights to be turned on and the moon through the window was only a thin crescent.

The woman lay on the bed. Hermione Granger, they had been told. She whimpered and gripped the hand of the man sitting next to her. Draco Malfoy. 

He had a small boy laid across his lap. Looking up at the healers, his eyes were desperate.

"Help me. Please."

***

Two took the boy to the next room with the potion kit. They healed his wounds the best they could, but knew that he would always have the scars that ran diagonally across his chest, tapering away at his collarbone. They gave him blood-replenishing potion and checked his pulse. It was stronger now. They explained what was happening to him, when his eyes flickered open and he stared at them in shock.

The rest stayed. Someone took her free hand. The others gave them space, but stayed close enough to assist if they needed to. Magic was not of much help with the birth of a baby.

Hermione refused to scream. She would not reduce herself to that.

Draco spoke to her. His words came out as one. 

"IloveyouIloveyouIloveyouIloveyou."

A healer came back. Their son was going to be fine, she told them.

Draco held her hand.

And half an hour later, in a mess of tears and sweat and loss of breath, a baby girl was cleaned with the flick of a wand and wrapped in a blanket and passed to her mother and father.

~~~~

AHHHHHHH THE BABY WAS BORN! Finally, I know right? 

Thank you so much for reading not my chapter, but zebrachild 's lovely chapter! As I've stated previously before, she has generously taken over my burden of writing my story and is finishing it for me. Didn't she do an amazing job? 

Make sure to leave a comment complimenting her, giving us suggestions and over all thoughts about the story! 

Keep being awesome y'all.

[Keep Calm and ship Dramione!]

~Emily