Flashback #2 - When We Were Kids

Soooo many of you have told me to write more soooo, here is your next chapter (a little earlier than expected *AHEM*)! This is a longer chapter, giving a little (ok maybe not a little but you know what I mean!) back story, so bare with me! Thanks!!! :)

***FOR CLARIFICATION!!! This is set before Hermione and Ron were engaged! They got engaged in the spring near exam time soooo yeah! CARRY ON! :D***

~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·

(Draco POV)

I looked up to see her staring at me. She quickly looked away, blushing madly, and returned to her bowl of cereal. I smirked and went back to the Daily Prophet. After the war, they had kinda lost their touch on coming up with new and exciting news to entertain it's readers. Today it was about one of the Weird Sisters breaking up with her husband for some pedophile. I sighed and put down the paper trying to concentrate on my breakfast.

My mind wandered farther and farther away into my vivid imagination. I felt something wrap around my arm which startled me. Pansy's pug face stared into mine. "Hey Dracy! You day dreaming about me again?" "You wish," saying with a smirk. She playfully smacked my arm and crushed her lips against mine.

Pansy was just about the biggest player in the school, and everyone knew it (and that was saying something, being that she was a bigger player than me). She didn't mind one bit about her reputation. Being in the same house as me, she was always attracted to me, sadly. She tried to sleep with me every night, only occasionally did I actually let her. I never felt anything for her but never mentioned it because once in fourth year, I had barely hinted at it and she hexed me so bad that I had to stay in the hospital wing for a week. So learning from that experience, I just took what she gave me.

It was Christmas break and today was the day that everyone was leaving to catch the train home. I was fortunately staying here at the castle while Pansy was going home for the three weeks. I hated it at home. Just a few months after the war, it was tough. My mother was a shame to the wizarding world and my father was sent to Azkaban, causing my mother to slump around the house not even noticing me. At school I was despised and rejected; setting me apart from everyone else, just like my forever Dark Mark scorched into my arm. Even Pansy turned in fear when she saw it. Forever marked as a bad guy. As a hateful Pureblood. A despising fool who was so full of himself he was too blind to see anyone else.

I hated it. I hated everything. I hated how I was different from everyone else, how no one saw the true me, how I was greatly hurt but no one was there to my aid. I have always kept my feelings inside, beating myself up for everything stupid I have done and still do.

Some boys cat called at our snogging fest and Pansy pulled out of our "kiss" to give a wink to whoever did the cat call. She slung her arms around my neck whispering ever so softly in my ear that sent cold shivers down my spine. "You know I'm going to be gone for Christmas, and I know your going to miss me so why don't we make the best of our time before I leave?" I paused for a moment. I'm not in the mood Pansy, I wanted to scream to her. Why don't you go flirt with someone else? But not to upset her I smiled and whispered back, "Ok baby. Meet me in the library in twenty minutes. Ok?" Her toothy grin lit up her face. "Ok baby." And with that she skipped off out of the Great Hall. Oh great, what have I done now?

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

(Hermione's POV)

I was staring at Draco again. Staring at his heavy set jaw and broad shoulders that held his muscular shape. His steely gray eyes swept the room before they finally settled on me. I blushed and turned back to my cereal, listening half heartily to what Harry, Ron, and Ginny were saying. Harry and Ron had come to the castle to pick the girls up and were discussing what they were going to do over the break.

"Maybe we could go ice skating!" Ginny exclaimed, bouncing up and down in her seat. Harry smiled at her enthusiasm and said, "Yep, we will definitely go ice skating!"

"What about you Hermione?" Ron said turning to me. I snapped back into reality and answered, "Ummm... I don't know... Really, I want to stay here for the holidays..." This time Harry, Ron, and Ginny all looked at me. "What?"

"You know, I just want to catch up on my studies for N.E.W.T.S. and I wanted to try to get top marks this year-"

"Like every year," Harry sighed.

"Well I wanted to try and get a job at the Ministry and you need to be-"

"We know Hermione! You can stay here, that's fine with me," Ron said as he slung an arm around my shoulder.

"Speaking of," wriggling out of his being his arm rest, "I need to go to the library right now and check out a book before anyone else does so I guess... See you guys later?"

"See ya later!" They said in chorus. I turned on my heel and started straight to the library, almost bumping into a jolly Pansy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I lightly jogged to the library just in time to snatch the book I wanted. Settling into my favorite corner I cracked open my book and started to read. I was pretty alone, for everyone was filing out to leave. Sighing in contentment, I returned to my book. After 20 minutes of peace fullness something flew past me. Sticking my head out of the aisle I watched this by passer with curiosity. It was, strangely enough, Malfoy, his blonde head bobbing slightly as he entered the restricted section, looking for watchers. My curiosity clawed at my heart so I followed, quiet as a house elf.

He led me down a maze of bookcases. Throwing one more glance over his shoulder, he trudged around the corner, out of my field of vision. I carefully crawled past a ladder, now very close to the corner. Avoiding as much dust as I could, I peeked around the corner to be greeted by a horrific sight.

Malfoy had Pansy pinned against the bookcase... I wouldn't really call it kissing... more like sucking each other's face off. Their hands wandered around each other. Pansy was sat on top of a desk with her knees around Draco's waist. I wanted to move, to get out of there but my mind wouldn't do anything and forced me to watch. He kissed her with so much passion. I have never been loved like that; Ron hasn't even gotten the guts to kiss me yet. A lit pang hit me in the chest but before I could decipher what it was, I began to back up out of there. Completely forgetting about the ladder behind me, I went flying into it and made it crash down with a loud BANG! Malfoy jumped back from Pansy in surprise. His head poked out from around the corner and smirked at me.

"Well well well, if it isn't little Granger trying to spy on us!"

"I wasn't spying!" I defended. "I was... trying to get a book up there but fell."

"Likely story Mudblood!" Pansy's ugly face appeared at Malfoy's side. "Why don't you get the bloody hell out of here before I can hex you!"

"Not if I do it first!" I shrieked, casting a spell toward them before apparating immediately to outside the Gryffindor common room and entering precariously. There was hardly anyone here; a second year reading by the fire, a couple of fourth years all giggling in a corner and a couple of others practicing spells on one another. Sitting down, I started my Arithmancy essay trying not to rethink the past events.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Snow fell silently around me as I walked to Hogsmead. I fancied a butterbeer so to the Three Broomstick I went. The pub was crowded, as usual, so I settled at a small table for two near the corner, sipping my butterbeer. The doors opened and closed once to more to reveal a sleek arrogant blonde who found me and strutted up to me. "Hey Granger."

Eyeing him carefully, I said, "What do you want Malfoy?"

He seated himself across from me and leaned in. "Well, I was just wondering if you liked what you saw yesterday. I didn't know you were into that kind of stuff." A mischevious grin lit up his face as he tried to hold in a laugh.

"I can assure you Malfoy that I wouldn't dream of running into you in that situation nor do I enjoy the idea that you would ever come to know what it is I like."

A chuckled rang across our table, a kind that sent warm shivers down my spine. "Oh, I'm pretty sure you were intrigued." A bigger grin spreading across his face.

"Oh, I don't think 'intrigued is the word, more like nauseating. That's a better way to describe it. I can't see why anyone would want to put anything near Pansy Parkinson, I'm sure she is more infectious than Dragon Pox."

"So Pansy is the problem? Well, at least you're intrigued by me." His eyebrows arched and he left with a sneer.

I stared after him.

What? I was soooo not intrigued by him!

But he found you staring at him at breakfast! I think he knows something is up.
My mind fought back.

That's impossible! We have been enemies ever since first year! How could I like him?

Can you not hear yourself think or something? You like this boy but don't care enough to admit it. He may even like you back, you never know.

No, I do know, he despises me. He couldn't ever be with someone like me...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Don't forget to vote! I'm sorry I didn't write more, the next chapter is going to finish this chapter sooooo... Yeah! Peace out peeps! (: