Astoria's Choice

Hermione's POV

There always seem to be those moments that you go over and over again in your head, hating yourself for what you did and wishing you had realized the obvious. I had spent too much time with people I could easily trust. With Draco, Scorpius, my parents, the Benjamin's, my son or daughter whose future I would help shape. I had learnt to judge people's honesty on their actions, not their face. Later, I would hate myself for this. When Ron came to my door, I was shocked. I didn't take in his face. I didn't even begin to think about the fact that he might be acting on orders. That his eyes and his mouth and his jaw line had taken on a different, harder shape that wasn't him anymore. He was still in there, of course, but at the time I had no realization of the fact that me, Draco and everyone we loved were walking into a trap.

Ron pushed open the doors to the Griffin's Wing.

Death Eaters filled the pub, wands out and pointing at us. No. Not all of us. I turned to Ron. His wand was at my throat. I let out a breath, shaking my head slightly and pushing Scorpius behind me. 'Oh no, no Ron...'

He stared at me blankly, his hair falling in his eyes. They were cold, grey, not full of the life and cheeky glint that so defined him. How had I not noticed this before? My hand found his shoulder and he pushed me back. I did a full rotation of the pub. Wands from every direction. No way out.

'Where is Draco?' Ron asked. I furiously wiped away a tear with my free hand, my other holding

Scorpius to me. 'I - I don't know.'

He pushed his wand into my neck. 'Where. Is. Draco.'

'Here.'

My hair whipped around my face, thin strands escaping my ponytail as I turned to the door. Draco was pushed into the pub, a wand held to his head like a gun by an old scarred man. Though I had no idea who he was, he bore the same direct, cold glance as Ron.

'Hermione', Draco said as he was shoved over to me. 'Meet Legendary John.' His tone lightened when he saw Scorpius, peeking out from behind me. 'Hey, buddy. You okay?'

Draco looked at me, concern overtaking his features. I answered his silent question.

"I'm ok."

My fiancé let out the breath he'd been holding. Turning to the death eaters, his eyebrows harsh, he glared at the wand held to his neck. "So!" he called out joyfully, sarcasm oozing from his words. "Now that we're all nice and cozy, would someone like to tell me who the hell is in on this? Astoria, right?"

"No. She's a traitor, you see."

"This is getting ridiculous", Draco murmured.

Everyone in the pub turned to the back door, where Renee stood with Astoria in front of her. The death eater didn't falter her speech.

"She just couldn't bare the thought of Draco and Scorpius in danger, now could you sweetheart?" Renee's voice took on a sickly sweet tone.

Astoria shuffled towards us, Renee's wand pointed at her. She had a cut on her cheek that refused to stop dripping blood down her neck and the skin around her eye had begun to burst into an impressive purple.

"Nice to see you, Astoria", I told her as she was pushed in line to my left.

"Well!" Renee grinned. "Isn't this cozy?"

Draco frowned, turning his head slightly towards me. "She stole my line."

I smiled despite myself.

Renee turned on heel and paced back and forth in front of us, like a commander before troops. Her shoes made a perfect 'click, clack' on the floorboards. "Oooh, I do love this bit. Does anyone have any questions, then?"

I opened my mouth, not thinking. "What the bloody hell have you done to Ron, you evil little bitc-"

Renee's wand was at my throat before I could blink. I braced myself for the curse, but she just spat at me. "Not in front of the kid, sweetie."

She resumed her pacing.

"As for Ronald," she rolled the 'r', "And the so-called 'Legendary John', they've been placed under the imperius curse." She stood still and crossed an arm across her chest, the other leaning vertically on it with her fingers next to her cheek. "They have been for a while, frankly I'm surprised you didn't notice."

I heard a sniffle behind me. I looked down. Scorpius stood with his hands on my waist, tears streaming down his face.

"Oh honey," I bent down and wrapped my arms around him, taking into account how much he was shivering. "Everything's going to be ok. Ok?" I felt him nod slightly. It would have to do for now.

Behind me I heard Renee sigh dramatically. Then the flick of a wand.

A bored drawl. "Sectumsempra."

A scream. Maybe more. I couldn't tell who was crying out more; me, Draco or Scorpius. My son. Who had long, deep cuts forming across his chest.

The room spun as I held him in my arms and felt him collapse. I felt myself scream his name but heard nothing as his blood covered my fingers. I registered Draco retching behind me. He couldn't take it. My fingers shakily pressed against Scorpius's chest, then went to push his fringe away from his face but stopped before I covered his forehead in his blood too. Finally, they made their way to his neck and pressed against it. A pulse was there. Barely. But he wasn't

No. I couldn't say it.

When my brain switched back on, it took me a minute to take everything in. I was on my knees, Scorpius still bleeding in my lap. Draco had a hand on my back, mostly to stable himself so he didn't faint. He reached around for me and I laced our fingers together. I had tears on my chin, but I didn't remember crying. The fire crackled merrily behind me, harmonizing with Renee's coughs and tuts.

I looked the woman in the eye, gripping Scorpius to stop myself from shaking.

"I'm going to make this very simple." I had no idea how my voice was so calm. "If you do not fix him. I will kill you."

"Mmmm. Huh. Ok then." Renee lifted up her arms and tilted her head. "Let's get to the reason we're all here, shall we? Astoriaaaaaa!" she sang, holding out her hand and clicking her fingers.

Astoria glared at Renee. The longest minute of my life we spent in silence, waiting for the next move to be made. I stayed with Scorpius, never moving from my position for fear the pulse under my fingers would cease. Then lethargically, like she was making a decision she was already regretting, Astoria closed her eyes, reached into her robes and pulled out a key.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys!!! You totally missed me right? XD 

Anyways before I say anything else, I would GLADLY like to introduce the new writer of Enchanted: zebrachild ! She is the one who very carefully constructed this chapter and will be finishing out the book for me. She has been a very very dedicated fan, very kind and helpful to me, and is all around an amazing friend to have. I love you girl! You made an AMAZING chapter that had several twists that I didn't even see coming and I can't wait to publish more of your writings!

I promised you guys I/we would finish the book for you. I'm sorry it has taken me three years to do it but I don't go back on my promises! Anyways, I hope you liked the chapter as much as I did, if you did go ahead and click that little star button and let us know how you felt in the comments! Another chapter should be coming soon!

[Keep Calm & Thank Merlin for zebrachild]

~Emily :)