Chapter 24

Oliver's POV 

After Kira read my response to the letter we openly joked for a minute. She smiled at me and it caused my heart to flutter. She was so kind and beautiful, yet innocent.

"Being nice isn't a mental issue." She said stubbornly.

"It is in this world." I shot back, grinning like a love struck human.

I was beginning to get more and more frustrated. Every time I was around her I felt different, happier. But there wasn't a mate connection. If a vampire meets their mate then it should connect. If the mate is a human it takes a little longer, but once you've been around each other it'll click. 

I stared into her eyes, trying to force the mate bond to break through. Nothing.

Before I could even realize I was leaning towards her, she was leaning away. It didn't matter though; I just continued my way until she was on her back on the couch and I was over her. Touching her made my body heat up where ever we met.

Touching her and looking into her eyes after I've known her awhile should activate the mate bond, right?

Again, nothing happened. The only thing that was happening was my heart pounding at an insane rate. I wanted nothing more than to kiss her right then and there, but if she isn't my mate, then what is making me feel this way?

"What is it about you?" I whispered aloud.

I continued to lay over her, not wanting to let her move. I wanted her close at all times and I didn't want any other guys around her, especially Simon. At the thought of him my mood darkened, but just being so close to her and looking into her pale blue eyes my mood wouldn't stay down. I'd thought that I was starting to feel her emotions, but I wasn't for sure.

Is this what a crush feels like?

I couldn't remember ever having a crush on anybody, most certainly not a human of all people. I mean she was extraordinarily beautiful, but that's something that all mates think. Their mate was created especially for them, so of course their mate would be the most beautiful thing they'd ever laid their eyes on. But Kira was just truly breath-taking, any vampire could easily admit to that.

 I needed to separate myself from her before I did something stupid. I sat up and looked away. As she took a deep, shaky breath in I had to control myself. I knew that she felt the same way about me as I did about her, but it was natural for humans to feel attracted to a vampire, and even other vampires got short breathed around me. I'd grown used to it, but with Kira I actually felt happy that she liked me. I wanted to turn to her right now and kiss her, but I would only end up hurting her eventually, so I restrained myself with great force.

We both looked at the remaining two letters as we recovered from the tension.

"I can get the last two. Why don't you go shower, change, and make us some lunch." I said, pulling myself together. I felt an idea come to mind and a smirk touch my face.

"But really you just need to shower. You resemble my friend, Death, to a scary degree." I said, joking with her. Her blonde hair was sticking out in various directions in such an adorable way. I didn't think she looked bad at all, I just felt like teasing her. When she rolled her eyes at me I winked and watched visible shivers run through her. I felt a victorious grin attempt to force its way to my face, but restrained it.

"Alright oh great one." She said, winking back at me. This surprised me for a moment, but the surprise was overcome by joy. My inner vampire briefly came out as my emotions tried to take control. A true smile broke through and I turned to the papers before I could do something like snatch her up and never let her leave my sight again.