Stay Here Forever

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."

~Winnie The Pooh

The best feeling in the world is having someone to hold you when you feel as if there's nothing left.

Unfortunately for me I woke up alone, laying on top my sister's Queen sized bed by myself. I could hear the birds chirping outside, the sound of the water running downstairs as Sienna cooked. I rolled over to find the other side of the bed empty and cold, the spot my sister had laid and listened to my stories.

"Miss Lys, are you awake?" I jumped at the quiet voice on the other side of the door, followed by a light knock. Sienna pushed the door open a few seconds later, smiling sadly when she saw me sitting up.

"I've made some pancakes. Would you like some?" She asked, her hands in front of her as she tried to figure out a way to make the food sound more appetizing. I started to shake my head but stopped when I heard my brother's voice start going off in my head like an annoying alarm.

"Sure, that would be great." I responded, offering her the best smile I could force on to my face. She gave me her usual warm smile before walking off, leaving the door open behind her. I reached over and picked up Steph's list, letting my eyes scan it.

Had she wanted me to do the list in order? Would it matter if I did one of the middle ones instead of the first one first?

"You're so smart, Ally." Steph had said a few months ago as I studied in the hospital room in front of her, "I'm sure you can figure even the hardest puzzles." 

I felt my lips start quivering at the memory, my hands gripping the paper and nearly tearing it.

I forced myself to read it again, trying to deceiver some sort of code in it. I grabbed the small folded piece of college ruled paper that had her small note on it and stared at it for a second, my lips moving along with every word.

I held it toward the light, my eyes widening at what I saw. There was an indent of an eight right in the middle of the page, behind the words.

"Go to Lincoln and Fourth and find a purple cardboard box." I read out loud, feeling my gut starting to tighten.

Why did she want me to go to Lincoln and Fourth? I hadn't been down there since my first date in eighth grade.

"Miss Lys! Breakfast!" Sienna yelled from downstairs, her voice echoing through the silent house. I folded the note then the list back up, holding them against my chest as I tilted my head back and looked up at the ceiling.

"I hope that was a sign and I'm not imagining it." I whispered, "But I'll do it all for you, Steph. I don't care what order it's in. I'll do it."

*

Sienna seemed to be in a particular talkative mood, and wasn't keen on letting me leave the house after I had eaten. She kept offering to drive me wherever I wanted to go, which if I had to take a guess, was an order my brother must have given her.

"Okay." I finally gave into the older woman, "Can you please drive me to Lincoln and Fourth?" She frowned, her lips parting in surprise.

"Miss Lys, that's not a very safe-"

"Please, Sienna." I pleaded, letting out a shaky breath, "It's for Steph." She stared at me for a long second, her dark eyes darkening even more at the mention of my little sister's name.