o n e

"Rosalie get table twelve and nineteen before the customers leave," Sharon shouts at me from the counter.

"I got nineteen," Kathy calls taking her notebook from her pocket.

I head to table twelve and take their orders. I met Kathy back behind the counter giving our orders to Anthony, the chef.

Anthony gives us his thanks, "I know it's a long night girls, thank you for coming tonight. Promise I'll drop you two off at college later."

"Thanks Anthony. Any meals to bring out?" Kathy asks.

"Yes. Table two. Chicken burger and the lasagna," he set them on the bench doing a last few finishing touches.

"I got it," I tell Kathy.

Grabbing the plates I head to table two. A mother and child sit waiting for the food they ordered. "Lasagna?" I ask.

The little boy waves his hands in the air.

Putting the lasagna in front of him and the burger in front of his mother she thanks me.

"Enjoy your meals. Call me over if you want dessert."

"Rosalie get the door," Sharon shouts putting meals down in front of a table near by.

Heading to the door I great the group standing, waiting for a table.

"My names Rosalie I guess I'll be your hostess for the night. We have a table in the corner that you can sit on."

I notice some of the boys are in my year.. probably came down from the college.

In the middle of the city, close to everything that's why this diner is packed out on the weekends. Good paying job though with the worst boss, Sharon.

I head to the back to check the time and roster. Half an hour on dishes duty before I'm out the front again.

I swap with Mina and start on the dishes, more being piled on by Mina, Kathy, Sharon and others.

The pile of food scraps fill the bill. I tie the bag up and open the back door heading into the cold breeze.

With a struggle I chuck the bag into the bin. I nearly scream hearing a gunshot down the alley way.

The large bin lid slams shut.

Screams are heard from inside my work. I cry hoping my friends are okay.

I should run for safety but my heart tells me to make sure innocent don't die.

Someone grabs me. A piece of cold metal is held against my forehead, a gun. I scream. The man covers my mouth. I try to kick him away. Another man comes into view. Tattooed and everything.

"Bringing innocent lives into our brawl?"

"You kill the innocent as well." The man steps close.

Tears stream down my cheeks, I pray to God to give me a second chance, I repeat the Our Father and Hail Mary in my head.

Hail Mary full of Grace,
The lord is with Thee
Blessed art thou
Among women.
And blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus.
Holy mary, mother of God
Pray for us sinners now and the hour of our death.