Chapter 21 - The pay off part 1

Chapter 21 – The pay off

Tanith had been sitting in her room for a few hours now waiting for the sun to go down, she was sent a letter to dress up and would be picked up in a carriage, the letter was signed M, she knew it stood for Morriarty, since she had been at the castle she was updating him of Death’s dealings and up and coming events, she was close to Death until she was kicked out, she sighed and said to herself “stupid stupid, how do i get into his good graces?”

She sighed again looking in the mirror combing her hair waiting for the nock at the door to come, she didn’t know what to expect, it didn’t make her nervous but all she could was wait, the lamp next to her flicked as a series of taps were heard on the door, she smiled as she stood up and walked to the door, as she slowly opend it to see who it was it was Morriarty standing there, Tanith opend the door full and smiled “hello Dear, shall we then?”

Tanith held out her arm, Morriarty was dressed in his smart black suit with gold trim, black shoes, black top hat and a cain, he had his usual glasses and his face was wrapped up, she was a bit surprised to see a strange person standing behind all covered up from head to toe, Tanith looked further behind this person to see the driver on the carriage, she was surprised to see it was a different driver but she shrugged, Morriarty bowed casually as he said “hello my dear, do you mind if we come in and talk first?”

Tanith blinked twice confused at his request, she shrugged and unaware of his true intentions or that of his guest with him, she stood back and held the door opened as Morriarty walked in first, but when the stranger walked and past her Tanith shivered, she could also smell something else about this person, death, decay and age, she waited till both guests were in the liveing room as she closed the door behind her, as she walked in Morriarty was already sitting down while the other guest stood silent in a corner of the room, the room smelt slightly damp but warm from the fire, the wallpaper was old and most items needed dusting, Morriarty looked around and said “so this is were you dwell in the human world, i say it could use some dusting”

Tanith walked to the side cabinite with a set of decanters and some glasses, she popped a cork from one and said “whisky?”

Morriarty nodded as he undone his scarf, he took the glass saying his thanks, she looked over at the stranger and said “would you like a drink as well?”

The stranger stood there silent and calm, just watching and waiting, Tanith poured herself out a drink and looked at Morriarty “so who is the stiff in the cornor?”

Morriarty smiled “a comrade with similar goals to our own, but don’t let her quiet demeanour put you off, now i understand that Death has evicted you out of his castle and domain”

Tanight gulped quietly to herself, the way in which he said it was direct, to the point and she had a feeling that more was to come, it was followed by him continuing and say “and i also understand that Eleanor is still alive”

Tanith sighed “yes i know, it would seem your pet husk failed to live up to his task”

Morriarty smiled that would make anybody shiver, Tanith caught on and waited while she stood up “yes i know my dear but he is the least of my worrys now, he had what was coming to him, but i had to find a new driver as well but that is not why i am here”

Taniith waited as there was a short pause “i am here because you did not stick to the plan as we discussed causing you to be kicked out for trying to hurt her”

Tanith waited as she took a sip of her glass “so your having ago at me for trying to kill her?”

Morriarty nodded “yes indeed, but i am lucky enough to find out that there is another ball being held in Death’s honour”