Chapter 14

Forgiven

Chapter 14

Éothain inhaled deeply, weighing his words. 

“Are you sure you don’t want me to get your daughter?”

Aldhelm lay in his bed, breathing heavily. “No.” His breath was airy, each word labored. “She will cry and wail.” He struggled for the next few minutes. “I’ve seen my granddaughter, held her. I’m ready to go.” 

Éothain grimaced. “Can I get you anything?” 

“I’ve taken what I need. They say I’ll go to sleep and it will stop hurting. That’s all I want. Is for it to stop hurting.” He reached out a gnarled hand. “Just… thank you for being here, Captain. I’m glad you stopped by.”

Tears filled Éothain’s eyes as he took the offered hand. “That’s Éothain, to you.” 

“Don’t you start.” The old captain squeezed Éothain’s hand weakly. “Talk about happy things.”

Éothain took a deep breath. Aldhelm’s granddaughter arrived the week before, perfect in her grandfather’s eyes. He swore she was the spit of his beloved wife and so she was named after the woman. And now…

“Eabæ will be quite irate you didn’t see her married.”

Aldhelm snorted. “I’ll be there. Tell her not to fret. She’s lucky, as is her Rider.” It was quiet for a moment. “Smart move with Sabert. Moving him to the outer reaches of Rohan.” 

The cottage was getting darker, the dust waving where Éothain moved. “We planned to do that to Æþryt, but…” his voice trailed off.

“Wítnung claimed him as it needed to.” Aldhelm snarled. “As he deserved. Wítnung claims more than we think.” With his other hand, he pointed to the shelf over the fireplace. “Get my pipe, son. Don’t scold me. I’ll be dead in the hour.” He smiled at Éothain’s dropped jaw. “I have some Old Toby I’ve been saving for a special occasion. I think this is special.” He watched as Éothain retrieved the pipe and told him where the tobacco was located. “You’ll find some fine Rohirrim whiskey on the shelf. Pour us both one.” When Éothain returned, he helped the old man sit up and sat by while he lit his pipe. “Ah. Now there’s a good smoke.” Rings floated in the air. “Have you bedded Eadlyn yet?”

Éothain choked on his whiskey. Aldhelm was right; it was fine but the question… 

“Dear Béma, son. I didn’t think you were that shy!”

Éothain was pounding his chest with his fist. “I’m… not! Why is everyone so interested in me and Eadlyn?”

Aldhelm began to laugh, but it turned into a coughing fit. Éothain waited until it passed, alarmed at the amount of blood the man spit into a wad of cloth. “Because you’re both hungry. We can see it.” He raised his hand to ward off the question. “We know Eadlyn suffered great brutality at her brother’s dispense. And she has suffered under the steward’s control of her property.” There was a pause. “And the unkindness of his wife’s heavy hand.” With this, he smiled. “It has been a joy to watch her blossom, even more so than when she was married to Beadorouf.” In the growing dark of the cabin, the old man smiled. “The first time I laid eyes on my wife, I fell in love with her. She was such a spit-fire.” He took a sip of the whiskey, savoring the burn. “Was until the day she died.” He took another sip and alternated with a puff on his pipe. “Tell me when you realized you were in love with Eadlyn. And do not,” he pointed with his pipe, “tell me you are not. You’re as love-sick as I was!” 

“The first time I saw Eadlyn was in Edoras.” Éothain smiled at the memory. “She was on the practice field and Lady Aefre was beating the stuffing out of her.” With this, his smile fell. “She was too thin, clumsy, and worn out. And she just… put her practice sword back up and took it again and again.” With this, he dropped his head. “They don’t know how long I watched them. I waited until I realized she couldn’t take anymore.” He shook his head. "I couldn't watch anymore."