Chapter 4

Forgiven

Chapter 04

Never, in all her years, had Eadlyn ever see Aefre cry.

Never.

Not when Aefre’s brother and father died. Not even when her first husband, Lufian, died. 

She heard the servants talk after the massacre that late at night, Aefre would shut the door to hers and Lufian’s private chambers and muffled sobbing could be heard. They tip-toed around her and the woman drank pot after pot of drugged tea, worked herself into a stupor. For a time, while Eadlyn was still there, recuperating from the unexpected birth of her son, this pillar of strength that she secretly looked up to became a wraith; pale and going through the motions of life.

And in her own immaturity, Eadlyn truly didn’t pay much notice to it. Her attentions were focused on the too small, too weak babe that slipped from her body too early, a babe who rarely cried, didn’t want to eat.

But that was how many years ago? Aefre was remarried, a new babe in her arms. She had renewed her steel backbone, one that Eadlyn envied and desired,

And this very moment, Aefre, wife of Gamling, who was everything Eadlyn desired to be in her heart, was ensconced in her husband’s arms, sobbing her heart out.

Eadlyn didn’t blame her. Not a bit. She remembered well Woldenfeld in its glory, in its heyday. She coveted the manse, the property, wanted the little piece of her husband’s family home to emulate it, still wanted that. It had been vibrant, full of life, carved oaken doors, two stories of Rohirrim power. The barns, the garrison, the bailey were impressive; in fact, the only thing mightier that Eadlyn had ever seen than Woldenfeld was Meduseld.

It lay in ruins.

Oh, it wasn’t razed to the foundations, but the walls, the doors, even the shed had a definite tilt, leaned. The bailey walls were crumbling; animals ran loose. The damage was indescribable. The gates, the shutters hung askew. There were holes in the walls, both inside and out. Eadlyn felt extreme guilt; her brother did this and sadly, it could be argued that she led her brother there to do the damage.

Eadlyn followed Aefre through the home, listening, along with Eadignes, mentally taking note of the damage, Aefre’s orders to clean, repair. She made note that all the bedding was ordered burned. Obviously she wanted no chance of lice or bugs. She was impressed at the stoic strength, as Aefre strode through the house, the gardens. At some point, she gave messengers directions to another home, another estate, to retrieve the cook, other members of her household who fled, she remembered them and wondered where they had gone. She watched Willan clear the yard of a drunken sot, realized too late that the tall, huge mute was anything but stupid.

And when it was over, she watched as Aefre completely collapsed in her husband’s arms, crying at the needless, senseless abuse to her beloved home.

Eadlyn became aware of a tall, strong presence next to her. “This is bad,” Éothain whispered. “I have been through the barns, taking notes for Gamling.” He shook his head. “I feel for both. I don’t know if they will finish all that needs to be done by winter.” He strode off, searching out his sister, who having dismounted, looked confused. Eabæ could feel the tension in the air, but had no idea as to why. Eadlyn watched the woman’s face fall when Éothain reached her and whispered in her ear. Her lips were easy to read, even at this distance. 

Oh no…

Eventually, Aefre got a hold of herself, immediately looking for who held her baby. Eadlyn held Léoma, the babe spending the entire time staring wide-eyed at her aunt as if to determine who was this strange person? And why was everyone so sour?