Chapter 12

Forgiven

Chapter 12

For some weeks after Æþryt’s disappearance, the entire garrison, the manse, the hamlet was on edge. Children didn’t play out alone, off-duty riders took turns scouting, watching the fields while farmers worked and keeping an extra, watchful eye on the children, so parents wouldn’t worry as much. Suitors were suddenly willing to do their courting under the watchful eyes of suspicious parents and those being courted didn’t chafe so under those watchful eyes.

The corn grew.

And Glædscipe was riding like a wild thing. Many evenings, Eadlyn spent time cleaning up scraped knees and elbows; the occasional bump on the head because her son thought he could bounce and attempted to prove it over and over and over…

And over.

And for every ‘thud’, every failed bounce, there was laughter. Not the cruel, derivative kind, but joyous.

And Eadlyn smiled more and more. And bloomed, much like the little rose bush in the graveyard.

While Éothain danced attendance on her, but still kept his distance…

… whilst Sabert stewed.

~~~…~~~

“Up. Up. Thrust. Up. Down. Left. Left. Ouch! That’s my finger!” Éothain stepped back and sank to one knee. He pulled off a glove, shaking his hand before inspecting the fingers Eadlyn just cracked. He put the offended digits in his mouth. “Thath gonna bruith!”

“Probably!” Eadlyn was smiling. She pulled off her own glove and waggled equally discolored fingers in the captain’s face. “Pay back, oh great Defenderman!” She turned away from him, putting her glove back on. “I swear, you whine more than-”

“EADLYN!” Serei yelled in warning. She grabbed her staff, turning in time to see Éothain running behind her with his staff, readying an attack. So intent on catching her off guard and from behind, he was unprepared for her low sweep assault. One minute, he was on his feet, the next, they were pulled out from under him. As he went down, he swept his own staff, catching her at the knees. Eadlyn collapsed and found herself joining him in the dirt, both rolling amidst good-natured laughing. As they spun, Éothain pulled her to him and they came to a rolling halt, arms around each other and Eadlyn pinned beneath him. He looked at her, grinning at the sheer open joy on her face.

To the two of them, all sound halted. Their eyes were locked.

For the first time in her life, Eadlyn made a bold move. She moved her hand to the back of the captain’s head and gently pressed him to her.

He needed no coaxing.

When his mouth met hers, all coherent thought stopped. It was sweet, his mouth caressing her top lip, noses bumping. Once, twice, three times he dipped, never truly separating, tasting the honey that was Eadlyn. With a suddenness that was wretched, he remembered, had second thoughts. Éothain broke the kiss, lifting up…

“Eadlyn… I’m sorry. I-”

“I’m not. Don’t stop.” It was whispered. Her leather-clad finger traced along the planes of his cheek. “I’ve waited… wanted this for so long…” She pulled him down again.

The fourth dip, his tongue found a refuge in the cavern of her mouth. For moments, seconds, Béma knew how long, there was nothing, nothing but heat and sweetness. As he sank between her legs, he realized they were in the dirt, with an audience.

“HEY! GET A ROOM!”

“THE BARNLOFT IS AVAILABLE, YOU TWO!”

Éothain pulled back reluctantly. He didn’t miss the rosy glow on the cheeks of the woman in his arms or the embarrassed smile on her face. “You’re quite pleased with yourself, aren’t you?” It was said with a snicker.