Chapter 08

Forgiven

Chapter 08

Not for the first time, Eadlyn stood in the middle of the huge room, designated for the head of the family. When her father-in-law passed, she declined moving in, preferring to stay in Beadorouf’s room. It was large enough, really two rooms with a sleeping area and sitting area, similar to Aefre’s. There was even a small ante-chamber for the bath and chamber pot. Truth was, she turned the sitting area into Glædscipe’s room, never bothering to move him into the nursery or a guest room when he got older. She wanted him close, wanted him safe.

She also missed Beadorouf. For the longest time, his pillow held his scent and she slept in his old tunics. In time as the smell faded, her grief dulled, but she still missed him, missed the sense of peace he gave her. Just as she felt she was settling into widowhood, her nightmare sprang back to life in the form of her brother. 

She naturally gravitated to the strongest man in the garrison, encouraged by Tatae. However when he misread her intentions, his true colors came out and she retreated to the room, venturing only into her garden, the cemetery and allowing Tatae and Cuichelm to take completely over the running of the hall.

Not that she had much to do with the running of it in the first place. She was left to her own devices, her flowers and herbs, sewing. There were days she never entered the hall itself, taking her meals in her rooms, the garden. 

When Aefre returned with her entire staff, Cuichelm convinced her the hall couldn’t sustain both households and that whoever Lufian’s cousin was, well, he couldn’t be that bad, now could he? Aefre just needed to get over herself and allow the man to take over. If she wanted to keep the hall so badly, she could just marry him and be done with it. Who knows? Perhaps this Gifre fellow would turn out to be a good sort. 

Of course, Eadlyn knew better, but she was too weak, too scared to go against Cuichelm. So, the fight that ensued, when Eadlyn suggested she return was one that still made Eadlyn cringe. Small wonder Aefre hated her. Or did.

Another long overdue apology… 

It seemed to Eadlyn her entire life was bent towards apologizing.

She shook her head. This room needed a woman’s touch. Too long, it belonged to Beadorouf and Aefre’s father. It exuded sheer masculinity, any woman’s touch gone long before Eadlyn ever arrived. Her old room, Beadorouf’s room, was currently entirely Glædscipe’s. He thought he was a full-grown man now, the way he marched about! His own room, his own pony, riding…

Éothain had taken to calling the boy ‘Skippy’ as if that meant anything, but her son preened like a tail-bird and was almost unlivable, if he wasn’t so amusing about it. He was already talking about swords and battles…

That was another thing that bothered Eadlyn. Éothain informed her that morning at breakfast he was resuming her Shield Maiden training and she was to present herself that afternoon after lunch to the practice field. Oh and please dress appropriately in leggings and an old tunic.

Oh Béma! Learning in Edoras, where no one knew her was bad. Here, in front of Sabert… especially in front of that hateful, hateful man… Æþryt…

Eadlyn was suddenly sick to her stomach.

~~~…~~~

As she had tried since the day Aefre left, Eadlyn attempted to establish a morning routine in the kitchen to discuss the day’s chores and especially decide on a menu for the evening meal. And for not the first time, Tatae brushed her off, telling her, it was unnecessary, the meal had been planned and the work in the home, meted out to various maids.