[10] I'll Be Good

So I decided to give you another chapter this week because I know I won't be able to update until after my exams. If I do get time, I will update, I promise. But here you go, I hope you like it.

I thought I saw the devil, this morning

Looking in the mirror, drop of rum on my tongue

With the warning to help me see myself clearer

I never meant to start a fire,

I never meant to make you bleed,

I'll be a better man today

I'll be good, I'll be good

And I'll love the world, like I should

Yeah, I'll be good, I'll be good

For all of the times that I never could.

I'll be good—Jaymes Young

* * *

Today is Scott's birthday and I am currently in the kitchen trying to bake his birthday cake. Trying being the keyword. I'd never been good at baking but I wanted to do something special for the birthday boy. I had already bought his gift and it was hidden under my bed. Last night I saw Zach wrap the gifts he'd bought. That man had gone all out, buying more than ten gifts. Mom and Josie were already here, decorating the backyard. The theme for Scott's birthday party was Mickey Mouse.

I stare at the cupcakes that sits on the counter. Mom had made them last night and I was jealous of how great they looked. I look over my shoulder, at the oven where the cake is baking. When the buzzer goes off, I take a deep breath, pull on the oven mitts and move over to the oven. Shutting it off, I open the oven and breath in the sugary smell. I pull out the three cake layers and put them on the counter. They are all in different sizes. I follow the recipe I found on the internet.

When I'm done, I grab the tube of red icing and write Scott's name on the top. I step back and examine my masterpiece—or rather my master fail.

"What the hell is that?" Shane's voice reaches my ears. I look up and glare at Shane.

"It's Scott's Mickey mouse cake."

"That," He points at the cake, "is not Mickey mouse, babe." He moves closer, leans down to examine the cake. "It looks like Mickey mouse here has had a miserable cosmetic surgery."

I look at the cake, tilt my head to try to get a better angle and hoping that it would look like the darn mouse at some point. It doesn't.

I groan. "This is so hard." I grab the recipe with the picture of the cake I tried to make. "It looks so easy."

He look at the picture and then at me. "Is that what you tried to do?" I nod my head and watch as he throws his head back and laughs out loud. He holds his stomach as tears fall down his face. He points at the cake and then at the picture and just laughs harder.

"What's going on?" Zach comes up behind the laughing baboon.

"Kaylee," Shane wipes his face. "She tried to make a cake." He then moves out of the way so Zach can see my work. Then he grabs the picture from my hand and shoves it in Zach's face. "She tried to make this cake..." Then he's laughing again.