[15] Hurts 2B Human

Will you make it sound so pretty even when it's not?Didn't choose but it's the only one we've got

And sometimes I get so tiredOf getting tied up in my thoughtsYou're the only one that often makes it stop
God, it hurts to be humanWithout you I'd be losingAnd someday we'll face the musicGod, it hurts to be human

PINK ft. Khalid — Hurts 2B Human

***

"What the fuck, woman!"

I sit up in bed, disorientated, I look around the room. I'm alone in bed, in Scott's bed, a teddy bear in my arms. When I hear dishes clattering and something breaking in the kitchen, then someone cursing, I groan in irritation. The clock on the bedside table reads 5.35 am.

"That is not how you make pancakes, lady." I recognise Shane's voice.

"Do not call me lady! And this is how I make pancakes!" Jane says.

"No need to shout in my ear, woman!" Then I hear something solid meeting flesh before, "what the fuck was that for?"

Having heard enough, I rise from bed and stumble into the kitchen where Zach is sitting with Scott on his knee, ear muffs covering the kid's ears. Zach's amused gaze moves from the two clowns in our kitchen to me and his eyes move over my form. Even in my sleepy state, I feel warmth in my cheeks and I force my eyes away from his and move to see the show by the stove. My eyes widen at our two friends, Jane standing with a smug smile, a spatula in her hand while Shane stands sputtering while batter is running down his body.

"What is going on?" I stutter when Shane's very angry eyes move to me. "It's in the middle of the night, what are you guys doing?"

"It's morning, Kay." Jane chuckles.

I glare, "This," I point out to the porch where its dark and rain is pouring, "is not morning."

"Well, I woke up by someone snoring like a fucking hippopotamus, and I couldn't go back to sleep."

"A hippo-what?" Shane crosses his arms, looking ridiculous as a blueberry slides down his cheek.

I look at Zach for some help, but he's hiding a smile as he looks down at a very tired Scott.

How can he be happy at this time?

"A Hipp-o-po-ta-mus. No wonder you suck at school." Jane grumbles.

"I know what a hippotamus is, lady." Shane growls, actually looking offended.

"Hippopotamus." Jane corrects and I'm shocked at the embarrassed expression on Shane's face.

"Whatever." He mumbles before leaving the kitchen. Jane looks as shocked as me before she literally stomps her feet and walks away. I look after them before looking back at the mess they made.

"Hey! Get back here and clean this shit up!" I don't think they're coming back before I hear angry footsteps and then they're here again, angrier looking than before. I shake my head at them, moving to grab a sleeping Scott from a yawning Zach. "How long have you been sitting here?"

"Scott woke up by the thundering and we came and sat here when these idiots came down." He nods at Jane and Shane who are arguing silently.

"What's with the ear-muffs? I trace Scott's forehead as he stirs in my arms.

"Well I figured they would help him calm down but then when these fuckers started fucking cursing five ways to Friday, I figured they would also fucking protect his innocent ears." He glares at our friends.