Chapter 6

I barely made it. Thanks gods that there was little to no traffic in the Park Area.

The Park is home to the Fae and the Elfin peoples. They turned into trees, and or lived in them. The Elf mages were some of the best in the world. They had a lot of natural talent as Healers and Elementalists. Fae mostly kept to their own factions, but occasinally worked in houses, as "invisvible maids" or "unseen servants". Fae all had the ability to use magics, and they did, but only to lie, cheat and steal off money or valuables.

I found my brother sitting on a bench with his wolves st his side. Fang and Fury were his pets. Fury was stark white, and Fang was jet black. That was the only way to tell them apart. Jay smiled and acknowledged me with a simple "Hello."

"Hey, I got those metal bits you wanted," I told him. Reaching behind me, I literally pulled them out of thin air. "Here. Put them in your endless bag."

He hugged me and said "Thanks so much." Then he sat down again. "How about you? How's work? What's dad been up to? Have you seen Aeric lately?" Jay asked.

"Well enough, easy to do, I have no clue, and no not today."

He laughed. "Okay, sorry, had to ask that. Aeric has the full moon coming up, and his dad has him up to his ears in Alpha stuff. What about dad?"

"Last I heard from him, he at the Grand Chasm looking for Doctor Death. He needs more luck than skill for that though."

"Damn right. DeAth is a pain to find. He moves around too much. Oh well...such is the life of a criminal on the run."

"I think something's wrong. We haven't heard from him in weeks. That's not normal. He usually sends a hawk back to the Underworld once a week with reports."

"Well, Day shift is over, so I think you should find Codeux soon."

"I can find him with Rusalka, doing paperwork...poor him, has to do this so often."

We talked for a while longer. I loved spending time with my brother, but nowadays we hardly ever got to see each other because of crappy schedule times.

Before he left, Jay let me have Fang, who was technically mine. Jay just watched them both, because only Day-Hunters used pets. Us Night-Hunters used the shadows and magics.

Eventually, Jay had to leave and I had to go back for Night Shift. This required me to either train with Deux, or patrol on my own. I decided that tonight I would patrol on my own and not bother Deux.

I usually kept watch over the Sanctuary Wall, the inner portion of the Wall that surrounded the Citadel.

Fang at my heels, I walked over to the nearest Guardhouse. Guards and Hunters were allowed on the Wall.

Jay worked in Trueshot Tower; one of the four Towers connected to the Wall, as a marksman in training. He wished to follow in our father's footsteps and become one of the elite rangers.

Hence he had a wolf. Hunters also tamed beasts on the side, for assistance in a hunt and for companionship. I also had Fang, who was legally mine. We had saved the wolf twins a while back on a mission. They had both been starved and abandoned at five weeks old. Now they were three years old, and were a mix of vicious and cute. I preferred the cute side of Fang, but the vicious streak worked fine too.

Now I had arrived on the Sanctuary Wall. Climbing up the stairwell to the top, I spotted a hawk. Maybe it was my dad's. I would find out later, hopefully. As much as I hated to ignore something from my dad, I had to. Right now I had a job. I hadn't just come to the Wall to patrol the area. I had to come here not for me, but for my familiy and the ghosts.

This section of the Wall was generally left alone, even by the Guards, because of what had happened here ages ago. People had been brutally murdered on the spot I stood on now. This was where Doctor Death, as he was now called, had made a final stand. He had vowed to finish what he started years before I had been born. This was where the most powerful of each kind had been killed. One of the most powerful had been my mother. Dad never knew that I found out it was here my mom died.

DeAth was considered an odd one when he was a kid. He grew up in a well known warlock family, so it was expected when he began training in the Dark Magics. But no one ever though that he would become so corrupted. (I mean, warlocks are generally dark and estranged from the rest of the world, but still) He wanted power, and he went great lengths to achieve them. To this day, he continues his mad work.

I sat down on the ground. Blood stains still remained of that day. Fang stayed behind in the shadows, like he knew there was bad stuff here. I came here often to see if any ghosts of DeAth's crime remained. Sometimes they would wail for days. Other times they would talk. I hoped they talked today because I wanted some information. but as soon as they appeared to me, they began wailing in a high pitch. No answers today. Maybe tommorrow.

I got up and went back to Fang. He let out a low whuffle. I petted his head and he nudged me as if to say "follow me", so that's what I did. Fang led me over to another part of the wall. I recognized it as a door that led to the underground sewers. "What's down there, Fang?" I whispered. A second later, the iron door slammed open and a dark blur barreled out, followed by a sulferous stench.