Chapter 4

The door swung open and waiting outside was a man. A very impatient, annoyed man. He roared at my brother.

"YOU ARE LATE AND YOU WILL NOW FACE THE DAUNTING PROSPECT OF DOING THE HOUSE CHORES FOR THE REST OF THE WEEK."

Jay flinched. When he realized who it was, my brother just smirked.

"Hey why are you back so early? I thought that Fang and Fury would keep you entertained a bit longer!" Jay laughed.

The man offered a growl in response. I then recognized him as Aeric's father, who was a werewolf. He was also our dad's closest friend, and he often looked after us while our dad was away on a task.

"Hey! Calm down!" I said, "No need to act as an alarm clock for the building. Although, Jay, get going. I'll speak to you later, with the metal pieces I found earlier, so meet me at the Park District, okay?"

Jay agreed by nodding his head, then turned to Aeric's dad. "Lead the way." he said, and the two left, leaving me in Jay's now unoccupied room.

*****************

A few hours later, I was sitting in my favorite little café on Shore Street, on the small island town of Blue Beach. I had taken one of the connecting portals out of the Underworld to this sleepy beach town. I had many memories of this place, from the white sand, and the blue ocean.

My father, Jay, and I moved here soon after mom died, which was when I had been five years of age. My mother had been one of the best spell casters in the Supernatural world, at least to me and my brother. She had been a witch, and she could set things on fire with a snap of her fingers and douse those flames just as quickly. I knew she loved all of us, and Jay and I had cried for days when she passed away. No one ever told us what exactly had happened to her, and dad wouldn't say anything. I just knew, somehow, that she wasn't a ghost. I would know if she was, so I hoped she was happy, where ever she was now.

I checked my watch, then realized that I must have gotten caught up in my memories, because I now only had an hour and a half before I had to meet with Jay.

I left the Seastar Café behind and walked down to the oceanfront and the pier. Upon reaching the end of the pier, I glanced around to make sure no one was around.

Then I jumped into the water. It was shallow here and I knew I had to go farther out to get where I wanted. I quickly cast a spell that would allow mw to breathe and see underwater. Then I waded out until I was up to my neck in seawater. I dove down and swam out and away from Blue Beach. There was a gentle green glow in the distance. It marked the area of the portal to us Supernaturals.

I swam ever closer to it, but just before I got there I felt something run down my spine.

Then a large and scaly thing came out of nowhere and tried to bite my head off.

I dodged as it came after me again and realized that it was a Guardian. Guardians protected their property with their lives.

They usually don't attack, unless they feel that there's a threat.

I was friendly. Or so I had thought.

Unless I was being followed by something. Which I was damn sure I wasn't.

But I pulled out a dagger, just in case. I didn't have my blade, because I couldn't exactly carry around a flipping sword in front of a bunch of mortals. I was working on fixing that though, so maybe next time.

I decided that it would be better to not worry about the fish, which by the way, was light pink and yellow. I'm not quite sure what the people who assigned this fish here knew what they were doing. But the only thing the fish did have going for him were his huge ass teeth that looked the size of elephant tusks. I wasn't sure how they fit, but I had wasted enough time.

I went after the portal, which was outlined in glowing green. Blinding neon lights assaulted my eyes. Swirling colors flew by me. Then I was tossed out of the portal and onto the solid ground of the Underworld.

I groaned. Getting thrown out of a portal had not been on my list of things to do today. Standing up, I put my dagger back in it's sheath and used some more of my magic to dry off my clothes, because I had been sopping wet. Then I headed back to the House of Night's dorms, to pick up the metal Jay had wanted.