Hospital for blind people

After a while a nurse came into my room.

”Kita, it’s time for your daily walk,” she said. I sighed. The daily walk was their stupidest idea yet. They were convinced that I could get better by walking all around the hospital.

I shook my head and concentrated on the music that came from the radio.

”I don’t want to,” I protested. All that walk gave me was a headache and sore feet.

The nurse walked over to me.

”Kita, we have to assess your development. This is a very important thing.” she tried to tell me.

”The radio is a very important thing.” I replied.

The nurse sighed. ”I’ll come back in two hours, and then we will go for a short walk, okay?”

I didn’t answer, something she obviously took as a yes. She walked out of the room and closed the door, which left me alone again.

Even though I had insisted, I hadn’t listened to the radio at all. Not that I hadn’t tried, but my thoughts were all over the place, stretching in all directions like a big tree.

I realized trying to listen to the radio was futile, and turned it off. The only thing that could possibly calm down my thoughts was the piano. It was the only thing I could hold on to, as everything else gradually faded away from my life. People, things, places.

I stood up, and grabbed my walking stick, trying to find the place where they had placed my piano. It was usually placed in the right corner of the room, but in the new room the door was to the right. I figured they would probably place it in the left corner instead, so after fumbling for  few seconds I found my way over there. And just as I had thought, the piano was there. I put my stick down, and my fingers stroked the hard mahogany. The piano was old, but I wouldn’t play on another. I knew it like my own pocket, and playing some other, strange piano would never feel right. Without anything special in mind, I sat down and started to play. Somehow I ended up playing some classical piece I hadn’t played in ages, but I was happy with it. It was a nice song, and it was written in a way that made it incredibly easy to pour feelings into the music.

I don’t know how long I played the piano. I kept on playing, never thinking about what I was going to play next. In the end I was just improvising.

I was in the middle of improvising a sad song when the door opened.

“I won’t take that walk. You can’t force me.” I said instantly, thinking it was the nurse.

No answer came, and I heard the door close. The nurse must have given up and gone out again. I sighed happily and continued playing my improvised song.

Suddenly a pair of soft hands grabbed mine from behind.

"try playing a Ciss instead of a C," the voice of a male said and swiflty moved my fingers over to Ciss.