Prologue (Edited)

You'll remember when I began writing this very page. It was on one of those many days when it rained peacefully, that I decided to try this again. You wanted to go for a hike on one of the many mountain trails, but I refused. I told you that I wished to release all of those unsaid feelings and thoughts like songbirds, free to make their own music and be heard by anyone and everyone.

So here's my attempt, I hope that one day you, along with everyone else will be able to leaf through its pages and see what really happened. I can only hope that you'll remember the miracles which happened while on our dangerous adventure, I know I will.

I remember that it was an average Sunday and I was going through the weekly motions of church. I went to Sunday school and answered questions when appropriate, walked on the sidewalk to the main church building like a good kid, and said hello to everyone I met. You on the other hand, were doing whatever you did on Sundays, sleeping in or working on a computer, not that I could blame you. Anyways, it was completely normal until I walked through the double doors of the sanctuary, and made a simple choice that changed the course of our lives.

You should remember the sanctuary well; the spacious room, carpeted walls, and uncomfortable plastic chairs shouldn't have left your memory quite yet.

As I came through the freshly polished set of doors, I took in the groups of people I could spend time with until the beginning of service. To my left, was Johnathen, my Ex, who stood talking with some missionary peers. While to my right, some of the proper church girls were discussing whether or not they should eat at Freddie's after service. I never liked talking to girls my age and typically avoided them, so against a voice in my head, I chose to go left.

Johnathen's XL body contrasted with the frail frames of the offspring of the visiting missionaries, "Joh-" I started.

No, he looks occupied with something serious. Better not call everyone's attention to them. I thought as I stepped up beside him and heard a snippet of their conversation.

"...scared to go near it," the taller of the two boys said. His black hair masked any facial expressions giving away his feelings, but his voice did enough for me.

"Scared to go near what?" I asked.

The two boys exchanged glances and a nervous look.

"She's okay, she knows," Jonathen said.

He reinforced the idea of my knowledge with his dark tone. He had been talking about his so-called ability to see beyond the normal field of sight. I didn't believe him then, but after everything that happened, I now see that he was telling the truth. I was stupid.

"We were in Colorado for a week ministering, and we heard about this trail. People disappear on it because of its dangerous terrain," the smaller of the two replied, though the latter half in a faint whisper.

If it's just dangerous terrain, then why is he scared? What did he see while he was there? Could he have seen someone fall and die?

"Excuse me, but what's your name?" I asked the shorter of the two boys.

"Oh, it's Micah," he pointed at the taller boy with his thumb, "and that's Joel."

"Nice to meet you both." I shook both of their calloused hands and smiled, trying to make them feel welcome and not paranoid. That was my job after all, to make sure everyone was happy.

They said nothing after that and merely looked at the floor or their sneakers.

As I began some awkward small talk with the boys, Johnathe"How many have disappeared?"

"Nearly two hundred and fifty," the older one known as Joel replied with fear in his voice.

"It must be some pretty bad weather," I glanced at Jonathen and then added, "maybe there is something else at work."

"I think there is; the way people look at you when you mention it, even the police give that look of enslaved fear," Joel said. "People there talk about it like there is some sort of demon involved."

"Really?" I believed in spirits roaming the earth, but not like that; that was just too much like The Blair Witch Project for me.

"Yeah, there is this family that lost their two young kids out there. They sent out a search party, but all they found was a pair of plastic binoculars, no bodies," the younger one said while looking at his brother. He seemed spooked about the whole thing, not enthralled or curious as I was.

Before I could reply, Jonathen cut in, "Is this Pike's Trail?"

Both of the boys looked at each other, exchanging a glance that resembled a defeated dealing with the devil. Only now do I understand what they meant.

"Yeah, but how did you know that?" Joel asked Jonathen quietly as he stared with intent at the floor.

Jonathen smirked slyly, "The internet."

"Figures," I muttered.

His eyes darted away from mine and his voice dropped in momentum, "Listen, don't worry too much about it. Most of what we said is just rumor."

"Micah…"

I knew he was lying, anyone with half of their brain could've seen that, but how many would've believed the truth? Obviously not many people, as evidenced by these past few years. Holland, I made you a promise not long ago. I promised I wouldn't pick up another bottle of vodka, but I can't make any promises while writing this. I guess you'll know if I did or not, after all, I am quite the loud drunk.