Shot in the Dark

"How do you hope to kill that which is already dead?" The figure of purple static asked me in the mist.

"I'm not trying to kill you, I'm trying to put you to rest."

An orange silhouette of an older man crooned into my ear, "You're a sad and broken child in the light."

Screams erupted from all sides, from beings in a sickening array of color, "You're not the author, you cannot change anything!"

"No I can't," I shouted, "But I can help you change the ending of this fairytale!"

"Quoting lines from stories will get you nowhere," a hyena giggled from a circle around me.

Another figure, a blob of hunter green ridiculed, "Who are you?"

"What are you!" I yelled.

"We're you, Lucy."

"You may have similarities to me, but you're not me, I'm me!"

"Does it hurt, to know you're just like us?"

"Yes it does, but doesn't it hurt you to know you were once like me?"

Hands covered in liquid smelling of copper grabbed me, colors of every shape and hue groped at the living white inside my body.

"Your white will be ours!" Cries like that of feasting animals surrounded my consciousness, making feel my own misery for once.

"No! No! No! No! No! No!" I shrieked, kicking into the barrage of color.

"God, if I'm crying into your wind and into your night will there be a way for my heart to return to white?"

My arm began to glow a dark infinite color, taking over the clarity and brightness of the white once there. I'm in between salvation and damnation.

"Wait... I'm not the one in between!"

"What is your price for him?" I shouted at God and the devil.

"How much is your sinful wish worth?" A voice sounding like understanding desperation asked me.

"Is it a sin to save the one that I love?" I shrieked, the pain and contradiction deep inside causing spasms to erupt from my body.

"He's latched to your heart and the confusion you've been hiding has revealed itself."

"Leave me alone!"

"You've used your heart as a sheath dear Lucy, you can stop."

"Which are you?" I sobbed, the tears of ocean blue spilling from my eyes.

"It's your choice."

"Can you tell me who you are and who I am?"

"Ours," the whisper reached my subconscious.

"I've forgotten how to see and I've forgotten if I can."

Holland's smiling face came to me through the agony of color, and I felt the ideas of the universe shift in front of me. Black holes filled with blood surrounded me, and in my moment of decision, I took his hand.

As the universe exploded around me, forming a star of golden dust, a shriek boomed from my diaphragm rang out,

"Otherwise, I'd toss all of this to the side, and everything I know would fade to black."