| twenty two |

" she was chaos and beauty intertwined; a tornado of roses from the divine. "

Harry, Ron, and Hermione were hiding something from her. She just knew it. They always talked in hushed voices and whenever she came around them, they immediately shut up and watched her with fearful eyes. And Romy couldn't understand why. It frustrated her to no end, and if she dared to ask what was going on, they'd avoid the question, talking about some homework assigned in that one class. And not to mention she had seen Hermione getting a book from the Restricted Section of the library, and the trio sneaking into Moaning Myrtle's bathroom! What was going on? And why wouldn't they tell her?
And then there was the fact that there had been another attack. Tiny first-year Colin Creevey, who'd been bugging Harry for an autograph, had been found Petrified. He had been close to the hospital wing, probably to visit Harry who was injured during Quidditch. He was found by Professor Dumbledore, and was immediately put into Madam Pomfrey's care. And, now, rumors of who the Heir of Slytherin was, was spreading like wildfire. The most popular candidate? Mr. Harry Potter himself. Even Romy couldn't help but wonder, considering how often he and his friends snuck around.

The only thing that was appearing to be on the good side was that one of the professors had started a Dueling Club. Blaise had signed them all up for the club and, so, at eight o'clock the friends all went down to the Great Hall. The long tables had all vanished, and a large golden stage had taken their place, propped against one wall. The ceiling was a velvety black, reflecting the sky outside, and the main source of light in the Hall was the thousands of candles floating overhead. Nearly the entire school packed the room, all holding their wands and bubbling with excitement. Romy even saw Ron, Hermione, and Harry huddled together, talking in hushed voices.

Finally, the teacher of the club came out onto the stage. And, to Romy's disgust, it was none other than Professor Gilderoy Lockhart in his putrid deep plum robes. But it seemed to be looking up when Professor Snape followed behind him. Everyone faced the stage as Lockhart began to wave his arm around, saying, "Gather 'round, gather 'round! Can everyone see me? Can you all hear me? Excellent!"

As all conversation ceased, Lockhart continued, "Now, Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little dueling club, to train you all in case you ever need to defend yourselves as I have done on countless occasions—for full details, see my published works."

Romy scoffed, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Let me introduce my assistant, Professor Snape," said Lockhart, flashing a smile. "He tells me he knows a tiny little bit about dueling himself and has sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration before we begin. Now, I don't want any of you youngsters to worry—you'll still have your Potions master when I'm through with him, never fear!"

"Wouldn't it be great if Snape finished Lockhart off?" Romy murmured to Millicent, who shot her a glare. She had learned the Millicent was a huge Lockhart fangirl, and as a result, Romy found amusement in teasing the girl about it.

"As you can see," Lockhart said to the crowd, "we are are holding our wands in the accepted combative position. On the count of three, we will cast our first spells. Neither of us will be aiming to kill, of course."

"That's a shame," muttered Blaise.

"One...Two...Three..."

The professors swung their wands above their heads and pointed them at their opponent. Snape cried out the Disarming Charm, "Expelliarmus!", and there was a dazzling flash of scarlet light. Lockhart was blasted off his feet, flying backwards off the stage, smashing into the wall, and slid down it. He sat there for a few moments, sprawled out on the floor. Romy found herself cheering with her friends as Millicent mumbled her concern for Lockhart.