Guardian of Fire Island - Fire and Desire

Chapter 27: Fire and Desire

Thankfully, the journey to the designated cave on the Obsidian Volcano was incident free. It was a beautiful day out, the cloudless blue sky high above, a gentle salty breeze from the water making his journey comfortable and relaxing. It made Keahi momentarily forget about his cares and simply enjoyed the peace and tranquillity that was Fire Island.

It was after midday when Keahi began his trek and it was late afternoon when he reached the Cave of Fiery Meditation. Flickering, waxy candles lined the walls, ceiling and floor of the cave, their flames burning softly, gently. It was quite beautiful seeing countless candles lit all at once. The cave was quite spacious, only a simple futon in the centre of the room acting as the piece of humanized luxury.

Walking carefully through all the candles, Keahi shifted his bag from his shoulder as he sat down upon the futon. Placing his bag on his lap, he wiped the light layer of sweat from his brow with the back of his hand. It was hot inside the cave, the candles keeping the air rather steamy. It wasn’t all that uncomfortable, it was quite pleasant, really.

Opening his bag, Keahi set out with the task of getting out the essential oils and incense sticks to start his meditation. Placing the oils on the floor for the time being, Keahi lit up the incense sticks and started placing them in various parts of the cave. It was actually a form of meditation in itself, really.

However, Keahi momentarily paused in his task when he heard Nootau Chatan chuckle within his mind. He tilted his head to the side in confusion, his brow furrowing slightly. “What is it?”

Love is a constant, universal, dynamic energy flowing into and through you at all times, Nootau Chatan’s voice drifted through. Renew your relationships through loving actions.

“Renew your relationships through loving actions?” Keahi repeated under his breath, his confusion only deepening. “What does that mean?”

“I guess it means Nootau Chatan sensed me coming.”

Keahi literally jumped at the voice and he whipped around, his eyes wide in surprise upon seeing a familiar smiling blue-haired man standing right behind him. “Masou!” he practically squeaked. “What are you doing here?”

Grinning impishly, Masou shrugged slightly. “Thought I’d keep you company.”

Keahi found himself smiling gently, truly touched that Masou wanted to be with him, even doing something that would probably bore the lively man to tears. “I am meditating, Masou,” he pointed out. “That doesn’t really require company.”

“But that’s so boring,” Masou retorted, just like Keahi thought he would. “The fire never meditates or sit still, so why should you?”

…That was a pretty good question, actually. Keahi had learnt through Fire Dancing that the flames could never sit still, forever curling and flicking. Even a solidary candle flame could not sit still for very long.

“Ah, well, it’s part of the Fire Priest teaching, I suppose,” Keahi tried to explain.

“Still boring as heck if you ask me,” Masou commented as he slid over to him, his hands instantly touching Keahi’s sides, pulling him up against him. Keahi allowed himself to be held, his body melting against Masou’s readily. He placed his hands on Masou’s strong chest and leaned against him, nuzzling his head under Masou’s chin.

A thought suddenly occurred to Keahi, though, and he pushed back ever so slightly so he could look upon Masou’s face, his brow furrowed in bewilderment. “Um, how did you get up here?” he asked. “Normally the flames wouldn’t...”