Guardian of Fire Island - Igniting A Spark

Chapter 8: Igniting A Spark

“Why didn’t you tell me you were a Fire Priest when we first met?”

Keahi swallowed thickly. He had been waiting for this. A Fire Priest who can’t use Fire Magic properly was the true definition of pathetic.

“Would it really have made a difference?” Keahi asked slowly, feeling slightly uncomfortable under the man’s narrowed gaze. “I don’t want to be treated as a Fire Priest, but rather simply Keahi.”

Masou continued to stare at him for a moment, causing a trickle of nervous sweat to slip down the side of Keahi’s face before he abruptly straightened up and plastered a carefree grin on his lips once more. “Hah, good answer!” he congratulated, even going as far as slapping Keahi on the back.

His jovial expression dimmed after a moment and he blinked down at him as if he was confused by something. He even went as far as tilting his head to the side in curiosity. “Hmm, why are you looking so down?”

Keahi blinked. Wasn’t he going to say something about him being a weakling or something? A Fire Priest should not need rescuing from a few measly bandits, right?

“...It’s nothing.”

“You know,” Masou started as he tapped his chin in thought. “It’s not good keeping everything locked up inside all the time.”

Masou than did something that startled Keahi immensely; he abruptly, but friendly, wrapped an arm around his shoulders and began to lead him away, Keahi numbly allowing him to do so.

“Come on, you can tell me,” Masou urged. “I saved your life, after all.”

Keahi chewed on his bottom lip before sighing in defeat. Yes, Masou was right, he did save his life, and so talking with him would only be fair. “Fine,” he said, almost sounding quite bitterly embarrassed by what he was going to say. “I am a Fire Priest, but my fire skills are...lacking, I suppose.”

“Is that all?” Masou said with an amused curl in his voice, unwounding his arm from Keahi’s shoulders to move in front of him. Placing his hands on his hips, Masou leaned forward so they were face to face again. “The reason why you’re struggling with your abilities is because you’ve quelled most of your fiery spirit. How are you supposed to possess fire if you have no fire in your heart, hmm?”

Keahi frowned at those words. “I have plenty of fire in my heart,” he insisted.

And that only caused Masou’s grin to widen. “Well, yes, I guess that is true. So, why aren’t you showing it?”

This time Keahi furrowed his brow in confusion. “And how am I supposed to do that?” he asked slowly.

Straightening up, Masou held out in hand in front of him, his palm facing upwards. He then closed his eyes for a moment, his grin turning into a gentle smile as he whispered something under his breath. As he did so, a small yet playful flame appeared in the palm of his hand, dancing and coiling, acting like a flickering candle flame.

“Fire is anger, fire is passion, fire is flirty, fire is excitement,” Masou said as he held out his hand toward Keahi, allowing him to watch the dancing flame more closely. “When was the last time you felt these things and let everyone know?”

Keahi didn’t respond to his question, instead he was mesmerised by the fire he held easily in the palm of his hand. Cautiously, he lifted up his hand, wanting to touch it with his fingertips but was afraid to do so and pressed his hand against his chest instead.

However, Masou gently took his hand with his free hand, enticing him to feel the heated fire, carefully guiding him so the flame was now nestled between their two hands. Keahi felt his breath still at how warm, not hot, the fire was and he felt his heart beat loudly in his chest. He had never felt anything like this before. It was...exhilarating.

“Watch the flames,” Masou continued to speak, his voice low, husky, intimate. “They’re dancing, they’re playing, and they’re constantly moving. They never sit still. Learn to dance with them.”

How long he had been staring at the flame, watching enthralled as it danced about like a fiery sprite, Keahi wasn’t sure. He had completely drowned out his surroundings; all he could feel and sense was this burning flame before him and the man who was controlling it.

However, when something touched his forehead, Keahi was pulled back into reality and he was shocked by what was happening. He had both his hands being cradled by Masou’s as he held the flame and their foreheads were touching in such an intimate manner that Keahi blushed darkly and stumbled backwards hastily. His heart was beating at an ungodly rate as he stared with blatant surprise at the blue-haired man, who in turn looked mildly confused and a little, tiny bit disappointed.

He soon smiled again, though. “How about I teach you a few tricks?” Masou offered as he held the fire sprite with his hand casually. “FireBrands like us all have unique spells that only we as individuals can use. Let’s find your inner spells.”

Keahi knew that he should decline. His Fire Priest honour demand that he say no, especially to a man he hardly knew but drew out such heated emotions from him.

He really should say ‘no’.

“Ok.”

“Good!” Masou said as he snapped closed his hand, the flame disappearing immediately as he smiled broadly again. “Then maybe you can knock that Fire Princess’ ego down a few notches.”

Keahi gave a weary smile. Ah, so even he had heard of his cousin’s lack of respect, to put it lightly. “We’ll see.”

“Why don’t I walk you back to the temple?” Masou offered, looping an arm around his neck. “Just in case?”

“No, I...” Keahi started to protest, wanting to insist that he had caused him more than enough trouble tonight. But with the way Masou had his arm around him, already pulling him stumbling along, he realised that he really didn’t have much choice in the matter.

And surprisingly, that didn’t bother him too much.

“Alright,” he said with a smile. “You can escort me back.”

“Yay!”