Guardian of Fire Island - A Fire of the Soul

Chapter 16: A Fire of the Soul

“Ok!” Masou said loudly as he clapped his hand together in front of himself again. “Time for you to meditate and communicate with your Fire Beast. You know how to meditate, right?”

Keahi nodded. It was one of the few things he could do rather well, actually. All Fire Priests knew how to meditate, it was something that they did regularly and had to maintain. There was even a process called Solitarily Flame Meditation where a Priest would trek to a cave upon the side of Obsidian Volcano and spend the entire night there meditating to the flames of the mountain. All Priests had to successfully complete this task at some point in their lives, but it all depended on whether they felt ready or not.

Or, in extreme cases, the Royal family would command that they complete this task as an oracle for the Fire God. However, that hadn’t happened in quite some years and many had forgotten about it.

But he had never really heard about using Meditation to communicate with a Fire Beast before. Maybe it was just second nature to a Priest? He’ll have to ask Bharath about it sometime later. If he could find a way to communicate with Nootau Chatan, the fire hawk, then surely Bharath would have found a way to talk to his Fire Beast.

It was actually kinda exciting.

“I’ll keep an eye out for anymore foxes,” Masou said as he placed his hands on his hips, giving Keahi a reassuring look. “So you don’t have to worry. If anything happens, I’ll protect you.”

Keahi felt his heart give a fluttering beat at the words. Having someone so easily say that they’ll protect you and mean it was something he couldn’t put into words. It was nice to have someone watch over him, someone who didn’t know about him.

And, well, he believed him. He knew that Masou would protect him if anything should happen.

“Alright,” Keahi uttered as he lowered himself to the ground and folded his legs underneath him.

Taking a deep breath, he loosened his shoulders and relaxed his posture. When he was comfortable, he slowly closed his eyes, entering a void of darkness. With his face serene, his chin up, Keahi looked into his eyelids as though he was seeing with his eyes open. It was a difficult step for some, as the nature want to flutter your eyes open was quite strong. But Keahi mastered it easily.

Emptying one’s mind in order to meditate was also difficult, but Keahi found it easily if he concentrated on the point in the middle of his forehead, also known as the Spiritual Third Eye.

Bypassing any thoughts, Keahi concentrated on his eyelids, allowing himself to fall deeper and deeper into the darkness, leaving form, name and all activities behind. Soon, he saw a grey haze appear in the void, like smoke dancing upon the wind. Keahi lifted his hand and allowed the smoke to curl around his fingers. He could hear the crackling of fire now and he knew that he had reached his meditative state.

A spark in the distance sparkled before coming closer and closer. Soon, the roaring of flames was heard and the spark turned into an inferno. But Keahi wasn’t afraid. He had no reason to be afraid anymore.

It was so warm…

“Nootau Chatan,” Keahi whispered, his Fire Beast’s name falling from his lips.

Before him, the mystical fire hawk appeared, his wings of flames gently illuminating the darkness into a regal glow. Two red eyes, the colour of rubies, look down upon him; so wise and majestic.

Keahi…

A soft gasp escaped Keahi’s lips when he heard his name from his Fire Beast. He was in a state of awe, he felt tears sting at his eyes. This was amazing, hearing the voice of Nootau Chatan. How he could have such magnificence as his Fire Beast, he was pretty sure he was unworthy.