Prologue

The beautiful deep waters of Lake Town held a dark secret, a secret unknown by men or any other.

Not a trace of the signs was foreseen when the disaster took place around twenty-five years ago, when the mysterious curse unfolded in the form of four innocent babies. 

Something destructive under the human race itself, where no one would see it coming.

Something... As innocent as infants themselves.

And no one knew about the destruction to come.

Eras ago, Dark Lord Sauron made a promise. A promise that he hadn't forgotten, a promise not a soul knew off, except the wisest of all, the White Council, who read the signs in the stars of something treacherous lingering.

A promise to weaken the nations of Middle-Earth before his grand return.

One era, four babies would be born, each gifted or cursed with the power to control one of the natural elements and bend those to their will.

Water.

Earth.

Fire.

Air.

Their shoulders were engraved with the most beautiful symbol of their element, vibrant colours inked into their skin.

That way, Gandalf could warn the parents of those off-spring to keep an eye out on the powers of their children.

Who knew what they could do, those children. Precautions must be taken, and three of the them were set in complete isolation, just with one another and the guards that fed them, nothing else.

The fourth one, however, was nowhere to be found. The parents had ran off, not wanting their child to be imprisoned, even if it was meant for their own safety.

A few meters underground, just outside of Lake Town, not far from the shore, a dungeon was built, away from the city with its weak souls, since the town couldn't defend itself against any element.

And the danger seemed to be gone, driven to the background... For now.

Years passed, and the children grew up to teenagers until they discovered their powers despite the attempts of the few guards to keep them hidden.

Questions raged through their minds of why they couldn't go outside or why they were locked up in the first place. What was so bad about their gifts? They were able to control it, right?

The children started to grow close to each other, became blood-siblings and swore to never let one another down. A bond signed with the sharing of a droplet of blood, a simple incision in the finger.

But that's when things just started to develop.

The desire to gain freedom is greater and deeper than anyone could imagine.
And that was the terrible mistake the local leaders of Lake Town forgot to foresee.

The one that was able to control fire had a yearning for freedom so deep that he would give anything to get it.

Anything.

That's what Sauron decided to take advantage of. He slowly seeped his dark ideas into the bender's veins, taking over control completely... Almost completely. The only thing he couldn't destroy about this bender, however, was the love he felt towards the two other ones that were held captive with him.

And he hated it.

He decided to wait, to wait until the girls saw how insane the firebender had become.

And he waited and waited to push the bender over the edge until that one infamous day...