~Chapter Twenty-Five~

Chapter Twenty-Five

After checking that everyone was okay in the basement and making sure that I had what I needed, I made my way onto the front porch where Sam and Dean where leaning against the railing. Dean saw me first and walked over, putting his hand on my shoulder, "Good luck, Scar. You can do this."

I gave him a grateful smile, "Thanks, Dean." He nodded and made his way back into the house. I turned my attention to Sam, who was staring out at the dark trees. With a sigh, I stood next to him, putting my hands on the railing next to his. He didn't look at me, he only put his hand over mine. We stood in silence for a few minutes, just cherishing each other's presence.

As I was about to pull my hand away, Sam looked down at me, "If anyone can do this, it's you." I gripped his warm hand in mine tightly before wrapping my arms around him and pressing my ear to his chest. I heard the steady beat of his heart and I smiled. I pulled away and with one final smile, I was off. I passed through the protective barrier surrounding the house, without so much as a single glance back. Once I was alone in the dark wood, I took in a large breath, trying to catch an odd scent. The air around me was clean, so I decided to walk slowly until I could either pick up a scent or think of a place where Erebus would want to meet me. He had to know that I was coming for him. He had been taunting me by staying on the outskirts of the house, never attacking or trying to take anyone. He wanted to finish what I started all those years ago, he wanted to kill me as much as I wanted to kill him. I'm becoming too powerful and he knows that soon he won't be able to beat me. The only problem was that this was my turf. He would never want to start a fight with me in a place that he didn't know. He couldn't have gone far though. He knows I won't go too far looking for him. He must have been scoping out a place for the last few days, maybe even weeks. He wanted the upper hand. The place that he had kept Maggie and the other girls was not the same place that he had kept me after he killed me, so he must have cellars all over the place. It was unlikely that he wanted to lure me to one of his cellars, though. He couldn't risk losing everything he had and I doubt that he wanted to have this fight underground, so where was he? Maybe I should head towards the cellar where I found Maggie. I turned around and started in that direction, hoping that was the right choice.

I had moved slowly to the cellar, making sure to listen to every sound and check the air for his scent every so often. So far nothing of interest had happened and I wondered if I had made the wrong decision. A breeze blew past and I thought I heard a whisper. Squinting, I looked around me, not being able to see anything except for the trees and the occasional animal. I went to continue on my way when another breeze blew, only this time I could clearly hear the whisper. Scarlett. I recognized the voice and whipped my head in the direction that the breeze had come from. I heard my name again and that was all it took for me to take off in that direction. I ran for a few minutes before I caught on to his scent. My heart filled with rage and I pushed myself faster. His chuckling was bouncing off the trees and that's when I stopped dead. This is exactly what he wanted. He wanted me to run in there with my emotions all over the place, it would make me sloppy. I had to calm myself down before I faced him. I had to find my center otherwise he would kill me. I stood completely still and closed my eyes, ignoring the laughing and the whispers. I could not let him get to me. Once I had drowned out the sounds, I opened my eyes and squared my shoulders. Standing up straight, I slowly walked towards a large clearing that I could see between the trees. As I stepped into the clearing, I saw Erebus. He was smirking as he watched me.

"Scarlett." I stared at him as we began to circle each other. "I knew you couldn't resist me."

My lips curled, "Yeah, when it comes to ripping your heart out, I just can't help myself."