~Chapter Twenty~

Chapter Twenty

I stood in the cold night air and watched the family eat their dinner, occasionally the older woman would glance at the empty chair. It was in these moments that her smile would drop and her eyes grow sad. She was always pulled back into the conversation by the younger woman. Smiles would return and the empty chair was forgotten if only for a moment. After the meal had been finished the youngest at the table turned his head toward the window where I stood. I quickly ducked and listened in to see if he had caught even a glimpse of me. He didn't mention it, so I assumed I was safe. It would be a few minutes before I was ready to stand back up. A close call like that would usually mean the end of my visit, but I didn't want to leave them tonight. I wanted to stay for as long as I could. At the sound of clattering plates, I stood slowly to see the two men carrying dishes into the kitchen. The older woman followed after them and then reemerged a minute later with a cake and knife. The men returned carrying forks and dessert plates. I stood and watched them eat and laugh. I wished I could be in that empty seat, but I knew it was impossible. I don't know how long I stood there for, just staring into the warm house, imagining what it would feel like to be a part of it. I was snapped from my trance by the sound of footsteps crushing the green grass. I spun quickly and stalked closer to the footsteps which were then joined by voices. I stopped. I recognized those voices. I let out a low growl and stormed over to the two Winchester brothers. Sam smiled upon seeing me emerge from behind the big willow tree, but I was too angry to return it. How dare they follow me here! I grabbed both of their collars and dragged them down to the curb, glancing behind to make sure that no one in the house had heard me. "What the hell are you two idiots doing here?"

Sam scratched the back of his neck, "We found a case, but you weren't answering any of my messages and we needed your help right away." I pulled my cell phone out of my pocket and saw two text messages and a missed call from Sam.

I looked back up at him, "How did you know where I was? I told you I was going to Roxbury."

Dean scoffed, "Yeah, thanks for lying by the way." I ignored him and looked at Sam expectantly.

He only smiled sheepishly, "We called Amelia and asked if she could give you a message since we assumed that you were busy. She told us that you weren't there and that she hadn't seen you in a couple of weeks." I gestured for him to go on and I could see that he was debating on whether or not to tell me the rest of the story. He finally gave in, "Amelia told us that she put GPS tracking on your phone and could have your location in a minute."

I gave a short laugh, "I am so going to kill that little red haired troublemaker."

Sam placed his hand on my shoulder, "She was just worried about you. We all were. Especially me."

I shrugged him off, "I can handle myself."

Sam nodded, "I know that. That wasn't the issue." He looked down at the ground and then back at me, "When you weren't where you said you'd be...I thought you had left. For good." Dean had left us, making his way back to the Impala which was parked down the street. I felt my anger dissipate and my eyes soften.

I slowly reached forward and grabbed Sam's warm hand, "I'm not going anywhere. I...I like being with you." I looked away from his eyes, "You make me feel better than anyone else ever has. Alive or dead. And I don't want to lose you, Sammy." It was silent for a second and I found myself fearing the worst. Suddenly I felt strong arms wrap around my shoulders and pull me into a firm chest. Sam buried his hand in my hair and I let my eyes slip closed. Winding my arms around his middle, I let a single tear slip from my eye. After a few silent, peaceful minutes had passed, I whispered, "I'm sorry." Sam only held me tighter. The roar of an engine broke us from our embrace.