Part 46

The elevator ride up to the main floor felt longer than usual. The ventilation seemed sort of off too. I pinched my shirt and pulled it back and forth rapidly in a failed attempt to cool down.

Okay. I was perfectly calm. No need to be anxious. I was just going to introduce my family to their worst enemy and hope nobody notices. Not to mention that I had no idea what Bill the incredibly unstable demon was going to do. Last time he was around my family he sent Stan to the hospital. Maybe a total of three hours ago. I didn't know why, but for some reason my soothing thoughts weren't helping.

The doors slid open and the vending machine swung outward. I gulped and stood stiff. I leaned toward Bill to whisper;

"Stay close and follow my lead. Don't act like you normally do. You're gonna want them to like you. Leave the persuasion to me."

"'Persuasion'? What do you know about persuasion? If I wanted I could tell a stampede to charge off a cliff and it'd happen without a second thought. You let me handle the talking. See how the professionals get things done."

"Yeah but you're in my house and we're talking to my family. I'm not letting you use your freaky dark magic on anyone I know. Cool it. Just hang back a bit. You screw up it's your own downfall."

"Fine. But if things go south..."

He grinned and his yellow cat eye lit up with bright blue, flame curling at the corner. I shot him a "don't you dare" expression and he snorted.

"Okay. Let's go."

I started to walk forward. I kept my eyes shut and counted my steps. I wasn't ready to open them yet. I only wanted to confront what I had decided to do after there was no turning back. It had to be done, even if it scared the sap out of me.

Suddenly I heard a thud. I opened my eyes to see a ripple pass over the bubble. I turned around in confusion. That's when I saw Bill, pressed against the wobbling force field. He kept his feet firm on the cement of the elevator floor, staring at the hardwood floor beyond the vending machine. He didn't seem scared really. Just awed.

"What are you doing? Let's move!"

"Am I going to have to work here?"

It wasn't the question I was expecting. I didn't know what that question was, but I assumed it would be deep.

"Most likely. You live in the shack you work in the shack. That's the policy."

"Will I get paid?"

"Nope. No chance."

"What an arrangement. My first summer job and I'm already being scammed. Your Stanley sure knows how to mooch. Respect."

I didn't know why he was talking about this. He looked up and his good eye met my two eyes.

"This is the first time I've tried to live a normal human life. Crazy right? I know all about you fleshwads and I've never had to be one."

He pulled himself from the elevator and I heard his Nikes slap the wood as he crossed over to me.

"What do normal teens do?"

He tapped his chin thoughtfully before socking me in the arm. Not hard, but in a friendly, teasing sort of way.

"Call of Duty! Battlefield! Overwatch! Gaming and all that biz, amirite?"

I rolled my eyes. A little overly animated, but that was his thing. God, I hoped it would work. Bill had already passed me and headed for the T.V. room. I had to speed walk to catch up.