Part 41

I finally got Bill some aspirin. When he took it, the look that crossed his face was that of pure relief. When we returned to the basement and out of the main area, I'm sure that my face looked about the same. Besides the fact that it had two eyes and any real discernable features.

He was still pissed at me and was trying to get as far away from me as possible, but I reminded him that he pissed me off first, and therefore had no right to the silent treatment. He still didn't talk much for the next few hours anyway. He was acting really awkward about the whole hug thing. I'd just pushed the whole memory out of my mind where regrets go to die.

I'd already freaked out at him, so I let the topic of Stan go for a while. He deserved some downtime after I'd almost killed him. Even so, if he thought that I was letting him off the hook he had another thing coming.

After a while, I decided that Bill was going to talk whether he liked it or not. I'd finally accepted the extent of my power over him, even if it made things a little weird. I finally had to admit it after the incident.

"Bill?"

"Busy."

He wasn't busy. He was lying on the floor picking at a clump of dirt.

"Bill, I need to talk to you about Stan." He sat up and looked at me.

"We already talked about it, remember? How you freed me and I didn't say thank you or whatever and how I'm stupid and pathetic and a waste of time. Then you almost killed me with a pipe then you tried to kill me by suffocation. It was a good talk and I think it covered all of what had to be said so we're good now, right?"

"You're not getting out of this that easy. If you're trying to guilt trip me it's not working."

It was working. But not enough to out rule my curiosity.

"Okay Pine Tree. Just keep your hands to yourself this time, kay?"

I nodded, too intent on hearing his side of the story that I didn't even acknowledge his little jab.

"I freaked out. Wouldn't you? It was that idiot who trapped me in that void, if you don't remember! It was only natural that I make him suffer for what he did!"

"Just like I've made you suffer for what you did?" He looked at me uneasily. "You destroyed everything and all I've done is protect you." I expected Bill to respond, to defend himself, but he turned away. He seemed anxious for some reason.

I realized that I had just brought up the very same subject that I'd freaked out at him about. He just backed down.

I decided that what had to be said about Stan was said. There was another question I'd been meaning to ask him.

"Bill?" he jumped.

"What do you want, fleshbag?"

"Are you..." I paused. I prepared myself for retaliation if needed.

"Are you scared of me?"

There was a pause as the question settled. Bill had gone rigid. I held my breath. He finally turned around, his expression overflowing with offense.

"NO!!! You really think...! I'M A CELESTIAL MIND DEMON FOR F***S SAKE!!! I've lived for an eternity! Humans are my puppets! And if you think that I'm scared of a goody two shoes thirteen year old like you, then you can just go and_"

I shot him a glare, silencing him mid-sentence. I grabbed the nearest thing I could get my hands on, a metal scrap from the portal, and swung.

The makeshift weapon was coming down on Bill fast. He let out a terrified squeak and covered his head with both arms.

Then there was silence. I held the scrap of metal mere inches from Bill's head. He was still curled up, trembling and bracing for impact. When it didn't come, he cautiously opened his eye. I held the weapon steady.

"Bill... Are you scared of me?"