You shouldn't have

The past two months have been rough. Being so far away from Stevie... Let's just say, I didn't like that at all. I've missed her terribly, since that first show in Phoenix. Even if we couldn't see each other, we spoke on the phone every night. Besides missing her immensely, I also had something else on my mind. While I trust Stevie, I still can't help but get jealous. It's not uncommon that other musicians go to her shows, that she gets invited to a party or some event while on the road and I know that men... well, they love her. I shouldn't be thinking about that, I know, but I can't. Once I finally have her back in my arms, then I'll be able to calm down.

It's the 18th of December, at last! Stevie's playing at The Forum tonight and I cannot wait to see her. Of course I wanted to go to her as soon as the plane touched down here in California, but I decided against it, instead I'm going to surprise her later tonight. 

"Are you sure Mom won't kill you for interrupting her show?" Alex brings me out of my thoughts, coming into my temporary home studio.

"I can never be sure about that." I joke, shrugging my shoulders. "I'd like to think not."

"I wanted to ask you something. It's beyond awkward, though..." Frowning, I turn around to face Alex, waiting for him to continue. "You two have been separated for two months and I was just wondering if maybe I should find myself a place to stay tonight?"

"Oh my God..." I cover my face with both hands, before I start laughing. "That's very considerate of you." 

"I'd rather avoid any sounds coming through the walls." Alex shrugs, laughing as well. 

Wanting to forget that was brought up, I change the subject. "Are you bringing Violet with you tonight?"

"If I can, sure." 

"Of course you can. You'd be on the phone with her all the time anyway if she wasn't with you. Maybe you should ask her to come here, to save time."

"Alright, I'll do that now." Alex says, with a nod of his head, before rushing out. 

Several hours later, we're on our way to the venue. I know it won't be Stevie's time on stage yet, so I'll have to try and avoid her for a little bit, before I get everything set up. By everything, I mean my guitar...

Once we arrive, I call Karen and she tells me that Stevie's currently in her dressing room, but The Pretenders are close to the end of their set, so she'll be leaving shortly. I ask Karen to keep Stevie occupied, so she doesn't decide to wander around in the hallways, while I get to Waddy.

"If anything goes bad, this was completely your idea and I had nothing to do with it." Waddy tells me seriously, while taking my acoustic and giving it to his tech, to place it with Waddy's, so it's ready when I need it. 

"Absolutely." I say and pat him on the back, wishing good luck. 

I don't know why I'm so nervous, but I am. I haven't seen Stevie for two months and I wouldn't want to ruin the night, by this impromptu appearance during her show. If this was Fleetwood Mac, she couldn't really get mad at me, she's not the only one in it, but now? This is a Stevie Nicks tour and as quickly as she agreed to marry me, she might be throwing my things out of her house just as fast.

Right. No more time to think this through once again, as I'm now standing in the wings, watching her. God, she's so beautiful. She has the power to capture everyone's attention and it comes so easily to her. Over ten thousand people are completely mesmerized by her right now and I'm certainly one of them, as I feel someone nudge me in the side. 

"That intro will be over soon." Waddy says, holding out my guitar by its neck for me. 

I smile, hearing Stevie say. "This is the part where my guitar player should be next to me, starting the song." She chuckles nervously, adding. "Waddy?" The audience laughs.

I'm still in the shadows, when I start playing Landslide, she can't see me, but I see her and the confused expression on her face. It quickly changes to shock and surprise, then a beautiful smile crosses her lips, when I finally step out into the spotlight. I drag the intro out a bit, so I can approach her, mouthing, I love you

Like the true professional she is, Stevie doesn't falter, turning to face the crowd as she starts singing. When we get to the part of the song, where it's just me playing guitar for a moment, Stevie steps behind me, placing her hands on my shoulders, swaying from side to side, as I turn my head slightly back to look at her. She hasn't done that in forever. 

When she finishes Landslide, I place my guitar down and open my arms, as she hurries to step into my embrace. I wrap my arms tightly around her, burying my face in the curve of her neck as I inhale her scent deeply and suddenly feel lightheaded. 

"Who was in on this blindside?" Stevie asks and I laugh, shaking my head.

"No one, just me." She gives me a look, knowing better than that, but I just shrug. Backing off slightly, I can't resist giving her a kiss on the lips, but she doesn't seem to mind, as we linger for a moment, before I break the kiss, knowing she has to go on with her show. "I love you. I'll see you soon." I say and walk off stage.

"That went better than expected." Karen tells me, once I get backstage and I laugh. "Maybe you're not all that bad for her after all." It's not a secret Stevie's assistant isn't the biggest fan of me. 

Ignoring the comment, I ask. "Are the flowers in the dressing room?"

"Yes." Karen gives me a single nod of her head, before I thank her and make my way there.

Soon enough, the show is over and I hear voices in the hallway, as they quickly get louder. Then the door opens and in comes Stevie. I stand up and once again envelope her in my arms. 

"I wanted to cry so badly." She says. "My heart skipped a beat, once I saw you. You surprised me." She smiles, then gives me several pecks on the lips. "Are those for me?" She asks, referring to the roses, although, she's still looking at me. 

"Of course, they're for you." I nod, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "God, I've missed you so much..." 

"I missed you, too." Stevie then pulls away, as she starts taking off her jewelry. "What's that?" She then asks, standing by the vanity. 

"I don't know what you're talking about." I play dumb, however, I do approach her, hugging her from behind, resting my chin on her shoulder. 

It's quite obvious what it is and I'm looking at her through the mirror, as she opens the small gift box. "I told you, you shouldn't have, Linds." She says with a smile on her face. 

"But it's got you grinning from ear to ear, so yes, I should have." I press my lips to her neck. "Let's say it's an early Christmas gift." 

"You spoil me." She spins around in my embrace, handing me the box.

I grasp her hand gently, kissing each knuckle before I slip on that engagement ring at last.