Not my business

Waking up later than usual, I run a hand through my hair, then rub at my eyes yawning, before getting out of bed. Still in my pajama bottoms, I leave my room and check into the guest room, where Alex has been staying for a couple of days. I find it empty. Of course, it's empty, school starts a lot earlier than it is right now. 

I then climb the stairs down and enter the kitchen for a cup of coffee and something to eat for breakfast. While I'm waiting for the water to boil, I realize that I haven't seen Olivia since that dinner at her's, despite the fact I promised I would. We've talked on the phone several times, but... I feel bad, I do. I know we could have something. Yet, I can't let go of Stevie. Maybe nothing will come out of what's happening right now, not that there is much, but still. We're learning to communicate with each other better, we're trying to understand each other more, we're a little bit more patient with each other and in my opinion that's a wonderful start. I can't be sure where her mind's at, but I'm still hopeful. I'm still hoping she and I aren't finished.

Hearing the front door open, I check the time and I realize it's almost 5 pm. I lose track of time, when I'm in my home studio, always. Not that I had anything better to do anyway. Putting my guitar aside, I come out of my favorite place in the whole house to greet Alex. 

"You're back later than usual." I say to him. 

"Yeah, I was with Violet. Had we made plans?" He asks me and I shake my head. 

"Just an observation." I shrug my shoulders. 

"Could you bring me home? Mom called me earlier. She's leaving soon and-"

"Sure, of course." I nod, without letting Alex finish his sentence. I know it's hard for him, having to split his time between us, but I also know that Stevie will always come first to him and besides that, he's right, she's going on tour soon and they should spend as much time together as possible. "Would you like to go now?"

"I'll gather my things first." Alex says and jogs up the stairs. 

Suddenly, I feel my heartbeat pick up pace. I'm once again excited to see her. There was a time, not that long ago, when coming face to face with Stevie was the last thing I wanted to do, but it's changed. I want to be around her, maybe, I'll even ask her out. It wouldn't be like a date, though, no, just two friends having dinner. Or so I'd have to keep telling myself.

Alex returns downstairs shortly and we get in my car, pulling out of the driveway and taking a turn to Stevie's. We chat casually while on the way, but Alex, probably without even realizing, starts talking about Violet and I smile. I don't think that he's ever liked a girl the way he likes her. And I'm happy for my son, he's not a little boy anymore, he's grown into a man and I couldn't be more proud of him. I only wish that things would be a lot easier for him with Violet, than it's been for me and Stevie. 

"Are you coming inside?" Alex asks, once we've arrived.

"Yeah, for a bit." I pull out the key and get out, following after Alex. 

I try not to show it, but I'm disappointed. Christian is here. I didn't know he was back already.

Entering the house, Alex drops his backpack in the hallway, which I know Stevie won't be pleased about. "I'll go look for Mom."

I give a small nod and wait. Soon, I see Stevie walking down the stairs, wearing a robe, her hair every which way. "I didn't know you were coming."

Obviously. "Alex asked me to drive him back. I wasn't planning on coming. I should probably be on my way, clearly I'm interrupting."

"Lindsey, no. Wait... It's not what it looks like."

"Great, but it's none of my business." I shrug, turning to leave, but she wraps her fingers around my forearm, stopping me.

"Please, don't go. I know what you're thinking."

"Stevie, honestly, you can do whatever the hell you like with your boyfriend, that's completely up to you. I just brought our son home and now I'm leaving."

"Lind-"

"Stevie?" Christian interrupts her and I clench my fists and grit my teeth at the sound of his voice. "Oh, I'm sorry." He then adds, seeing I'm here. "I just wanted to ask you something, but it can wait." 

He disappears with that and I reach for the door handle, Stevie once again placing her hand over mine. "I don't want you to go. Please, Christian is leaving soon."

"Okay, but I don't see how it's got something to do with me."

"Don't be like this." She says and she doesn't sound annoyed, more like she's pleading.

And yet, I can't help my jealousy. "It seems like I'm interrupting, he's already been down looking for you. Again, I'm here only because Alex asked me to drive him back. I've got other things to do and I wouldn't want to... delay anything. Goodbye, Stevie." I say and shrug her hand off, opening the door and closing it again, before she can stop me once more.