part 11

The last box was packed and ready to go. I kept saying to myself: "Did you double check everything?" or "Are you sure you can do this?" I was worried to death of what I was doing.

Moving in with my dad wasn't a decision I made just because I wanted to be there for him. I was doing this because I wanted to clear the air and try to get over the past. During the time I spend with my dad I would discover myself, and who I really am. I couldn't just pass up this chance. 

I had talked this over with him for a long time after the funeral last weekend. I knew this would be hard, but I needed to be there for my father. Leaving my new, old school behind was another stepping stone I had to step off of. Teddy hadn't called me back, and I couldn't face my friends to tell them about what was going on. The challenge was going to a brand new school. My father had made sure I wasn't going to my first high school, where Rob roamed and leaked the halls, but made sure I was at a good school that was close to home and would help me finish this school year.

This decision was not easy, I could see Dana's tears in my head that filled my eyes with tears. I never wanted to leave Dana, but my dad asked me to come live with him. For some reason, my heart filled with joy. The feeling of being wanted by my dad hit my heart. Saying no wasn't an option. Not after my mom wasn't there for him anymore. He had problems, he still does. My father needs someone there to help him. Who better than his daughter?

"I think that's everything," I huffed. My pile of boxes looked to be a story high in the living room. Suitcases were all put in one area and things that didn't go anywhere were in another pile. I looked around and remembered I was leaving my home for the crazy house. I was leaving the comfort zone for the impact zone. Even though I knew it was stupid, I walked out the door.

"You know I really don't want you to do this, right?" Rachel said as she scanned my luggage. She had skipped school to drive me to my dad's house. It was the only time that Dana would be gone.

"I know, but I have to do this."

She sighed and started mumbling about something and the only words I heard were, "...trust...beaten...stupid..."

I stared at her for a long time. I had no reason to trust him, he did need help. What could I do? But a part of me was pulling me back. I wanted to be in my real home with my real dad. For my mom.

 There was silence. Then Rachel started to pick up the bags and silently shuffled to the car to load everything. I helped her along her side. I couldn't help but see tears run down her face every so often. It broke my heart that I was abandoning my true friend, that I hadn't had for a long time. 

The car ride there was silent. It felt like it took a million years.

"Hey," Rachel said, as we pulled into my dad's driveway. "Come back if you need to. Please! It'll be too quiet and boring without you. And I hope this isn't permanent." 

"I love you Rachel." I hugged her for a long time. Then we unpacked with my dad and got everything in my old room. It was a scary place. Memories filled my head and made me dizzy. Rachel held my hand, and we walked to the door. We said a long goodbye. My dad watched her drive away as I toured my old home. Almost everything was the same. A new piece of furniture here and there, but everything was in the same shape it had been when I was so much younger. The feeling was mutual between my father and I. I could tell he was apprehensive about me looking at all the old pictures and walking around my old dwelling place. The strange feeling was wrapped around both of us.

That night consisted of ordering pizza, watching football, and playing video games. I felt like a normal kid hanging out with her dad. I had never known what this had felt like. I never wanted to leave.

When the hours had added up and our yawns were consistent, we decided to go to bed. My dad walked me to my room and kissed my forehead before I walked through the door.

"I'm so glad you're back home baby doll. I missed you," and with that, he walked into his room and locked the door. I wondered why he locked it, but didn't want to worry about it before I went to bed.

After getting ready for bed, I looked at my phone and saw one missed call with a voicemail. I flinched, and stared at the screen for about 10 minutes. Did I want to hear what he had to say? I clicked the buttion.

"Sky," said his low, husky voice. "I know I messed up. Ignoring you for awhile was wrong, but I needed to think. I don't know who that guy was, and I don't really remember what happened that night... But I shouldn't have left you that night. I hope you are okay, and I need to see you. I've been thinking a lot abou you because I can't get you out of my mind.. I guess I just wanted to say that I lo-" the machine cut him off. 

HE WHAT? Loves? Me? How do I know? My fingers quickly danced on my keypad and I dialed his number again. 

Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring. Ri-

"Sky?"

"Come to 233 Bluebird Street. I need to see you."

~

I sat in the living room, biting my nails. An old habit I picked up during grade school. The house was silent. You wouldn't guess there was once screaming and horror inside of it. My breathing was heavy and steady. I didn't hear any sign of life in my dad's room. When I walked by the door, with my ear up to the wood, I heard the television. He was watching some game. I wondered if he could sleep. Or if what he was thinking at this moment if he was awake.

The engine of a car was heard outside. I looked out the window and saw Teddy's lights flashing in my eyes. My heart started beating again when I saw his figure in the darkness. I got up off of the couch and ran to the door. The door flung open due to my excitment and a gush of wind ran through the living room. Teddy got out and slammed his car door shut, and looked up at me. He was smiling. 

I ran to him. His arms were open before I started running. He caught me and held me as close as he could have possibly held me. I cried, and he held my trembling body. After I got it all out, he looked down at me. I looked up at him with tears in my eyes. His gentle hands wiped my cheeks. When he ran his hand gently through my hair, it gave me the shivers I hadn't had since that one Friday night.

Teddy just stared into my eyes and kept stroking my hair.

"I missed your beautiful face. Every single day, I wanted to just see your face." He said. His eyes didn't leave my face. I blushed. That made him laugh. 

"Teddy," I tried to let these words come out with ease. A part of me was scared to hear his answer. "the message you left me cut you off. What did you say at the end of your message?" A big smile covered his face. He slowly leaned close to me and kissed my cheek, then my neck.

Ever so gently, he whispered in my ear, "I love you."