part 16 (final part)

It was the last day of school. I remember passing by the many friends I had made this year in the halls. Hearing them say hello and goodbye for the last time for a long time. When I think of my first day here, I stopped and stared at the lockers. Stared at the walls and floor. Glanced at the doors that I had wanted to run to when I entered the school and felt alone. Now I look at my life, and what I've got. I close my eyes, and take in the simple sounds of lockers slamming and voices of aquaintences in the halls. It was weird to think I found my home in my school. Teddy. Rachel. Many people that made a difference in my day. And because of those people, I escaped the old house, that I no longer call home, and will forever remain in my real home. With Dana. With Teddy. 

His warm hand grabbed my elbow and woke me from my day dreaming.

"Hi," Teddy said before kissing my cheek. "I need to show you something."

"What?" but he soon swept me away down the hall. Our fellow students started to part a way for us, and soon dissapeared behind us. Then I started to see things I remembered so clear from the beginning of the year. The dark hallways, then the staircase that led to the room. The room where Teddy shared his heart. The room where I saw Teddy for the first time. I jerked Teddy to a stop as our tracks stopped halfway up the stairs. 

"Why are we going here?" He smiled, knowing the surprise was killing me. When the suspence was killing me enough then, he slowly shortened the distance between us. With a soft, tender kiss. His hands held my face closely to his. I smiled, because he loved it, and because I had no idea what he was doing. 

"Okay," he grabbed my hand and tucked it under his arm to continue walking. "now I'll show you."

We raced up the stairs and finally reached the top. The double doors that were once a secret, led to something so familiar to me now. A great memory. The door creaked as it opened, singing it's history. I gazed inside to see nothing. It was dark. I reached for a light switch. But I just felt up the wall  instead. Teddy turned the lights on for me to see the award room once again. 

Nothing had changed. I walked around and scanned the pictures again to recognize familiar faces. 

"I don't know why you brought me here, but this room brings back memories." I said across the room. Teddy was standing by a corner of the room that didn't have a picture frame yet. He pointed to the empty space on the wall.

"There's going to be a new face here real soon," his words hung in the air. I walked over to get a closer look at the naked wall waiting for a new face. 

"Who is it?"

"You."

"That can't be right, I haven't done anything! I don't deserve a King award! Why-"

"Sky, stop it. You have no idea what you have done to this school." he paused to look deep into my confused eyes. "Rachel used to have no friends, and she hated school. You made her happy to come here and gave her a best friend. That girl you found crying in the bathroom, who knows what would've happened to her if you hadn't talked to her?"

"But I-"

"Joshua Parker was going to kill himself if you had let him drive after that party last month. Remember, you drove him and all his friends to all of their houses so no one would get hurt? And Felicia Rose was one of the meanest girls in school, you were the first one to ever stand up to her. She respected you and listened to you, and now she is a good friend to you, me, and many others. Thanks to you." he grabbed my hands and pulled me closer to him. I looked up into his eyes as he blew me away. "You moved back in with your dad to help him. I believe you did. He needed to get out of that house and away from his friends. You changed your family. You saved him from doing even worse things. But most importantly, you saved me. I had no idea what I was doing in high school until you came. I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life, I started getting waisted every weekend, I was going for the wrong girls... I never talked about my mom, ever. My life was messed up. But you came and opened my eyes. You showed me who I am because you were yourself. And you know what, everyone saw that. That's why they voted for you to recieve the King award this year. Just by being you, people could be themselves. It was you, Sky, that changed this school."

I shook my head violently, and looked to my feet. Hoping they could soak up my tears. 

"Wow. Thank you, Teddy. Thank you." I held him close to my trembling body, and he embraced me while I let go of my tears. We stood there motionless, standing in the room of kings, now with one new queen.

~

After the principal handed me my certificate, the audience that had gathered on that sunny day abrupted with applause. My cheeks were rosy red as I recieved the admiration of my friends. The King award. My picture was placed on the wall for all to see. Along with all of those people that had done good in this school. I still didn't think I really deserved this award, but accepted it on behalf of my friends that made this possible. 

When the applause died down and the voices of mingling set in, I ran to Dana in the front row. She looked beautiful and I wasn't more happy to see her there.

"I'm so proud of you sweetheart, I'm so proud." she kept saying. I was crying, of course. This feeling was just so much and I couldn't hold it in. People were surrounding me with comments; encouraging, congratulating, and happy words. I smiled as much as I could. But then thought of someone who should be here. I knew that they didn't deserve to, but they should be. Teddy was across the room talking to his friends as I ran up and wispered in his ear. He quickly nodded and opened the door for me to quickly exit.

~

"Sky, I'm a proud father." he said through the window. I clutched the phone as the words hit me. He had tears in his eyes as he heard what I had accomplished and what he had missed out on.

"Dad," I took a deep breath to say what I needed to say. "you need to get better. You need to stop doing drugs, the drug dealing, you need to get your act together. Because you have a daughter who needs a father. Because through all I have accomplished and done, I know that you should still be there. You are my father! So please, if you love me, when you get out of here, clean up your life so we can be okay. I don't know why I came here... Because my friends are all at a party for me right now... But I needed to see you. It doesn't make sense." I sighed. Trying not to look in his eyes.

"I'm so sorry." Now he was weeping. "Being a father is not one of my talents. And to do that, I know what I need to do. I love you more than anything in the world and I haven't showed you that once in your life. You are a strong girl Sky. You have gone through things a girl should never go through. And I promise that when I get out of here, so help me, I'm going to prove to you and myself that I am your father. Because I do need to be there."

There was a silence that sent my spine tingling. The sounds of others meeting friends through this same glass that seperated me and my dad, bounced off the barriers. I finally looked up to meet his regretful eyes.

"You need to go. Forget about your old man, I'll be back. Please go now," I stood up keeping eye contact with him. We held the gaze to remember what we had just promised to each other. Then turned to walk away. "Sky?" I turned around one last time. "I love you." 

I whispered the words "I love you too" as I shuffled out of the stuffy room. As I walked out the doors, I breathed air that didn't seem to suffocate me like inside. Then my eyes saw Teddy in his car, waiting for me to get back. 

As I took each step to the car, I felt a sense of healing with each step. I knew that somehow, my relationship with my dad could heal. And I had an amazing family with Dana back home. Rachel and I were planning on going to college together after we graduated. And Teddy loved me more than I could put in words.

My future looks bright. My past has got nothing on me. 

This story was so much fun to write, I really hope you enjoyed it! I'm sorry that I kept you waiting so long for the last part! But keep looking out for my new story! I've been working on that too, so really busy with writing! I'm home now and ready to keep pursuing writing and publishing. So keep reading, vote, comment, like, add to your library.. blah blah blah. Thanks to those people that kept with me for the whole story! You guys make my day when I read your comments!! Have a great rest of your summer, and keep reading! <3

*Now out there: "I Love You Brother". Totally different story, but a great one!! Can't wait for you to read it and let me know what you think!! So excited I'm finally done editing!!! :) Enjoy!!!! <3