Chapter 1

'Mom, do you know where my cell is at?' I shout my question down the stairway.

'For goodness sake child you act like I know where everything is.' Mom's response was yelled back at me.

'Oh don't give me that crap, Mom. I know you know where it is.' I respond while leaning my elbows on the banister. She acts like she doesn't know where it is but she knows me so damn well it's impossible for her not to know. 

'Check on your phone charger or in your pants you were wearing from yesterday.' She says laughing loudly at my comment causing me to laugh but roll my eyes.

I turn around and head back into my room, quickly searching for my phone. I jog over to where my charger is normally plugged in but the charger is missing. Okay, now I know something screwy is going on. I never take my charger out of my room especially since I have a car charger. I head back out of my room and run downstairs toward the kitchen. There I am greeted with both of my parents milling around the kitchen looking completely ridiculous. My mom is looking at her spices and my dad is looking at the counter while rubbing it with his hand like it was dirty.

'Okay stop acting like you were busy right now and tell me what you crazy people did with my phone.' I tell them while waving my hands between them. I add a mock glare into the mix just to show them that I am completely serious.

'Okay. Go grab everything you need for school first and then we'll explain.' Mom quickly replies without looking at me.

The reason for the evasiveness is due to the fact that not only can I read her like a book when she is hiding something from me so she avoids me like the plague but I can read most people that I meet. I'm very good at reading body language except for boys my age. Some of them just baffle me.

After throwing my hands in the air I run back upstairs quickly making sure I have everything I need for school in my back pack. I run over to the mirror and run my fingers through my long brown hair to make sure it's still straight. Don't get me wrong I'm not one of those girls that is super girly but I love my hair; it's the only attribute that I really care about. I run my fingertips through my hair a couple more times before throwing my back pack over my shoulder and grabbing my keys off my desk.

As soon as I reach the dining room I drop my back pack onto the floor by my chair and take a sip of the glass of milk that is sitting beside a plate full of food that is in front of my chair. I know that it's mine since we normally sit in the same seat but also because it's the only other plate not being eaten off of right now. Dad's plate is almost completely empty and Mom eats as she cooks. It's really funny to watch her cook; she always says that she doesn't need a plate since she has to 'taste' the food as she cooks and when it comes to cooking she can't just do it half way. She has to cook a full meal if she cooks at all. That being said I quickly start digging into my blueberry pancakes, bacon, cut up chunks of banana and toast.

I'm about halfway through my enormous breakfast when I realize I still haven't asked about my phone. This thought make me snap my head up to see my parents staring at me in amusement. Don't worry they are used to the fact that I eat like a horse so I know that isn't why they are staring at me. I can't help it, I am a growing girl after all. After swallowing my mouth full of food I take another gulp of milk before speaking to the two weirdos in front of me.

'Okay so tell me what's going on with my phone. I would normally assume it being missing as a bad sign. However today is the first day of school so I shouldn't have any reason for being grounded. Well unless it's about the rug and if it is I know it was expensive but at least let me explain.' I say frantically trying to come up with a reasonable excuse.

'What's wrong with the rug?' They both ask me.

'Nothing it's, um, just a saying anyway quit changing the subject. What's up with the thieving of the phone people?' I ask incredulously trying to get the focus back on the phone and off of the rug.