Chapter 9

"What're you going to order," I finally break the awkward silence that has settled over us. 

"I'm not really hungry," he says. He looks so different, I've never seen him like this and I've known him our whole lives. He is normally so confident and chipper; this side of him is so odd.

"Well why did we even come here if you weren't even really hungry?"

"Because you were," is his simple response. 

"Have you eaten this morning?" I ask narrowing my eyes on his slumped figure.

"Ya," he says shrugging still not meeting my eyes.

"Damn it Brayden, don't lie to me." I growl.

"No," he mumbles.

The waitress chose that moment to walk over. "Hi, are you ready to order?" She asks the question straight at Brayden while ignoring me.

Glad of my new change I respond immediately to the irritating little slut. "Yes we both want the ham and cheese omelet. He wants his with extra cheese and I need a large side of salsa. We also need 2 pancakes each, a side of bacon for him, and a side of sausage for me. His bacon needs to be floppy but cooked all the way." I say glaring daggers into the side of her head. 

After her standing there for a few moments Brayden breaks in shocking both of us with his words. "You heard her, now please go away."

When he finally meets my eye we both crack up in peels of laughter. "Where did that come from," I ask once I've calmed down to just a few random chuckles.

"I have always hated how girls hit on me in front of you," he says honestly.

"Why? I'm not trying to start a fight Bray but you never seemed to care. I know that you tried to keep the girls you dated away from me, I never really understood why, but I got used to it. I hated seeing you with other girls but it sucked so bad when you were dating someone new because I hardly ever got to see you." 

"I didn't like being with girls in front of you because I have always had feelings for you. I thought for years it was brotherly. When you started getting older I realized it was more possessive than that."

"Huh?" I ask shocked to my very core.

"I wish I didn't keep it a secret from you but I was asked to. I wasn't going to tell you but I'm so miserable. Even if you can never forgive me for the things I have done I don't want to be away from you. I miss my best friend." He says pleading.

"What the hell do you mean someone asked you to keep it from me?!" I could feel a rage I had never known come over me.

"Um. I - I can't tell y-you." He stammered at me with wide eyes.

Narrowing my eyes I stand up and flatten my palms to the table. Through clenched teeth I spoke," You will tell me who in the f*ck asked you that."

"Caro-"

"Don't," I growl at him. "Don't lie to me Bray. I'm not asking you, I'm telling you."

"Your brother," he mutters.

As if the air had been completely sucked out of me I flop back into the cushioned seat. With my mouth opening and closing the waitress walks over. While placing our food on the table she keeps giving me odd looks. The shock that I'm in I can't even utter a single word to defend myself. Without knowing what to do I pick up my fork and start to eat. Now that my appetite is completely shot I can't even eat half of what I ordered in the first place. 

Walking out of the diner I ignore Brayden's pleas to speak to him. When I get to my car, after unlocking Brayden's door, I click on the radio and turn it up to ear bleeding levels. The entire time driving to school I don't see anything that I'm doing really. I'm completely on autopilot at this point. The only words that are flowing through my mind right now is; who could Dev keep this from me knowing how I feel? As soon as I pull into a random parking spot in front of the school I hop out of the car. After a few moments I see Dev standing with our group of friends and a couple of girls from our grade and below.