Chapter 3 - I Think I Want To Marry Your Daughter

Chapter 3 – I Think I Want To Marry Your Daughter

“Who cares if you’ve lost your bloody job? Just pay the god damned rent!” The landlady screamed from outside the door of our small room.

Arthur yelled something back at her and slammed the door shut cursing. His blue eyes shifted from the whole room to me before he started gathering our clothes from the makeshift cabinet. Without a word, he packed them all in a duffel bag.

I was five back then. There were many things that I couldn’t understand at the time but I knew something was wrong.

Arthur ran a hand over his blond hair and knelt in front of me. “Leon, get your things. We’re going on a… an adventure,” Dad said managing a smile.

Soon, we were already in the dark streets of London carrying our meagre belongings, walking and walking through the alleyways until my feet hurt. But I didn’t complain. I shouldn’t be a burden.

“Dad? Where are we going?” I asked tugging on his big hand after a couple of hours of walking.

“Do you want me to carry you?” he asked.

Silently, I shook my head. My feet hurt and my stomach was growling but Dad was tired too—from working all day and taking care of me.

He pointed a finger to an old building made of stone. It was a house that looked something in between a church and a dormitory. An angel statue stood on either side of the big wooden double doors.

Arthur’s hand shook against mine when we reached the steps to the entrance. We stood there for a minute. Just when I was beginning to wonder why we were there, Arthur held both my shoulders and fixed a pair of troubled eyes at me.

“Leon, you’re having a vacation. I want you to wait here. When the nuns come, do what they tell you and tell them I’d come back for you okay?” His voice was shaking.

“Where are you going, Dad?” I asked clutching tightly on his sleeves.

Arthur shook his head, a scared look on his weary face. “I don’t know Leon. But once I get enough money, I’d come back for you for sure. That’s a promise.”

“Can’t I come with you?” I asked.

He shook his head and let out a sigh. “I’m afraid not, Leon. It’s no place for a little boy like you where I’m going.”

I started to cry but I wiped my face on the sleeves of my jacket and swallowed hard.

“That’s it,” Dad said as he removed his winter scarf and started to wrap it around my neck. “You’re a brave boy, aren’t you Leon?” Arthur choked on his words, his eyes all red.

When he stood up, he squared his shoulders and knocked loudly on the door.

“Stay here,” he murmured gazing at the floor while he blankly stepped away.

I choked my sobs while I watched him disappear into the street. Dad said to be brave. Boys shouldn’t cry. And he said to stay there, so I did. I shouldn’t be a burden.

The sounds of metal bolts being unlocked gave me a start. There were hushed voices from inside—voices of women. Maybe they were the nuns Dad told me about. I’d be on a vacation though I doubted I’d like it. It was an orphanage and even the five year-old me knew what that meant.

I watched as the door slowly opened before a pair of big arms grabbed me and lifted me off the floor.

“Don’t worry. It’s just me,” said a familiar voice when I let out a muffled cry.