43 - It Ended with a Blast

So breathe in so deep
Breathe me in, I'm yours to keep
And hold on to your words 'cause talk is cheap
And remember me tonight when you're asleep

                         Secondhand Serenade, Fall for you

A splash of color, I thought, smirking inwardly. It sounded so melodramatic I just might barf.

As promised, there was a splash of color.  Let me correct that. A splash of colors, to be exact.

I learned a few things in that split second of my demise. Funny thing about dying was you get to see a rainbow of colors falling from the sky, like confetti flitting slowly to the ground. You don’t feel pain, which was a bonus. To be honest, I’d expected something between Texas Chainsaw Massacre and WWF. But there was nothing, thankfully. All I could feel was the pressure of hostage-taker’s arm against my neck. And the sticky red liquid squirting from my neck, soaking my shirt. Gross, I know. But at that very moment, all I could focus on was Sarah, frozen in mid-scream, tears streaming down her face, and the smell of strawberries. Lots and lots of sweet strawberries.

In my last attempt to fight back, I bent over then, head-butted the hostage-taker. I heard him yell and curse at me.

My head throbbed like it was floating in water, about to explode. Other than that, the only thing that could ruin this epic, theatrical death was seeing Sarah cry. She’d probably keep crying for days, I thought, because I was gone. And feeling exceptionally important.

The guy’s arm loosened from my neck.

Next thing I knew, I falling sideward. There was an incredible amount of pain when my right shoulder hit the pavement, just before the side of my head bounced on concrete. And I told myself, I wasn’t dead. Yet.

How long would I have to wait until I’d lost enough blood to finally stop breathing? I should’ve listened more in Health class. Another thing I’d learned about dying—you become overly dramatic.

When I opened my eyes, I saw only black with white burning spots. Was it time?

Several footsteps came rushing towards me. Then, I felt my head being lifted and placed on something soft. Drops of water fell on my face, and I thought, tears.

“Leon?” It was Sarah’s voice. So it was true then. Hearing was the last sense to be lost. “Please… wake up,” she whispered, her voice shaking.

I wanted to. Believe me, I did. But my eyes were wide-opened and still, I couldn’t see anything but the moving lights that danced around me.

“Leon…” I could feel her face pressed on my chest. At least I’d hoped it was Sarah’s face. “Please, don’t leave me. I… I love you,” she whispered between the sobs.

If only I could move, I’d have hugged her so tight, laughing. Those were the words I really wanted to hear from her lips. But it was too late now and as much as I was willing to give everything to her, this was one of those things that I couldn’t.

I love you too, Sarah.

Fingers stroked my brow. “The only thing that scares me more than having to leave you is you leaving me. So please…”

I’m so sorry.

“Please…”

I’ll be watching over you.

I heard the hostage-taker curse again. There were more voices. Some of them, I recognized.