Chapter 39 - How to Ruin a Perfectly Good Photo Shoot

Still I'm lying here tonight
Wishing I was by your side
'cause when I'm not there enough
Nothing feels right
So I'm coming back to show you that
I'll love you the rest of my life                               

                                                        When I'm with You--Faber Drive

I kept ringing Freddy while waiting outside the hotel lobby. In all twenty or so tries, I got nothing but voicemail prompts. I was also trying to look as inconspicuous as possible but that seemed out of the question as of now.

My hair was dishevelled and still dripping wet. My shirt was buttoned up the wrong way. If I had my sneakers on, it would’ve been an I-just-got-out-from-the-shower look. But considering as I’d lost my shoes to some girl I didn’t know, I had no way to evade total humiliation.

I wriggled my toes inside the soft fuzzy slippers the hotel gave me. Add that to my hung-over look, I looked pretty much like a two-day dead zombie with bunny rabbit feet.

As expected, people stared. And not the good kind, mind you. I was just lucky the paparazzi weren’t morning persons. If not, pictures of me would go viral all over internet in a heartbeat. Maintaining a badass reputation wasn’t the easiest thing to achieve for someone like me.

I wasted the last half an hour bugging the front desk lady to follow up my order from the shoe shop. Turned out, it won’t open early even for the Pope. For the meantime, I was stuck in these fluffy things until Chuck and the guys pick me up. At least the slippers came in blue. In all honesty, they were pretty comfy.

A silver top down Lexus slowed down to a stop in front of me. Ricky was driving while Chuck and Reed were on the backseat.

Chuck threw me a head-to-toe look, staring at my slippers for not less than five seconds before smirking in a way that ticked me.

“What?!” I snapped. “My shoes got stolen.”

“Hop in then, mate!” he said in an Aussie accent.

Without waiting to be told twice, I got in the car with some unmasked grudge. I tossed the portfolio and the mystery girl’s cardigan onto the dashboard. In no time, we hit the road to the morning traffic of Washington Street.

“Get it?” Chuck kept laughing. “Hop in? Because you look exactly like a bunny rabbit—“

Sensing my current lack of humor, Reed gave him a backhand on the chest. He coughed for the next two minutes.

“Very funny,” I muttered, fixing my eyes on the road. “Now which one of you remembered to bring me a pair of undorky shoes?”

“I told Chuck to—“ Reed started to say before Chuck butted in.

“Nuh-uh,” Chuck groaned, scratching the back of his head. “Don’t look at me, dude. I thought you were kidding when you said you’re wearing fluff balls.”

With a sigh, I turned to Ricky. “Please tell me you have my sneakers…”

He rapped his hands on the wheel and gave me a droopy stare.

“Why me?” he groaned. “Is there any law that I should do everything around here?”

I ran a hand through my hair. This wasn’t turning out as I hoped it would. For the next few minutes, I fumed to myself. I totally had no idea what was happening and no one seemed sensible enough to tell me anything. I’d totally been cut off from the Sarah World.

We spent the last half an hour listening to Matchbox Twenty’s last album before the band broke up. It was kind of our favorite at the time. We all agreed we won’t disband like they did. But now, I wasn’t so sure anymore.