Chapter 12

"He'll be here in an hour" Scarlet sipped at the wine in her glass, barely looking up from her book "You better be ready"

Isabelle sighed and bit back the sharp words that threatened to jump off her tongue. She didn't want to see him but she had little choice.

Just then a knocking could be heard at the door.

"Well, look who's arrived early!" Scarlet's smile was wide and fake. Isabelle knew her mother had invited Brent over early to prevent her from making any attempt to escape.

"Mr. Snyder is here" The servant said quickly as she showed Brent into the room before leaving again.

Brent stood there with a charming smile and Isabelle had to admit that he was beautiful. He had the perfect chiselled jaw and cheek bones, sparkling blue eyes, dirty blonde hair, perfect body and charming smile. Not to mention social standing and money galore. He was always the prefect gentleman in public and always the prefect idiot in private. Even a rat can look pretty when covered in gold and wrapped up with a bow but in the end, it's still a rat.

Yet here Isabelle stood again, unable to escape.

"Hello Mrs. Harringway and hello miss Isabelle" Brent approached Isabelle and her mother. He leaned down and kissed Scarlet's outstretched hand and Isabelle tried to look delighted as he did the same to hers. His eyes met hers as he stood up and they sparkled slightly as a warm smile appeared on his lips. He held her hand in his for just a moment too long.

"How you are you both today?" He asked, taking a step back from Isabelle.

"Wonderful!" Scarlet chimed "We are doing wonderful and we are so happy you're here!"

Isabelle was feeling anything but happy.

"It's good to see you" Isabelle said with sickening sweetness.

"You as well" Brent smiled. He turned to Scarlet "May I escort Isabelle on a walk around the gardens?" He asked politely "It is lovely out today."

"Of course" Scarlet replied, looking at Brent like he was the best thing to have ever breathed "I'll be here in the house if you need me and the servants should have dinner prepared in an hour or two"

"Thank you" Brent said sweetly "Isabelle, will you have me?"

"I'd really rather not" Isabelle thought to herself but feeling her mother's eyes on her she simply replied "Of course"

************

Brent walked beside her as they moved through the gardens, but never so close as to even accidently brush her arm. The gardens stretched out behind the Harringway's house and consisted of a few paths surrounded by gardens of beautiful flowers and trees and even a pond with a bridge. All of this was skillfully maintained by their team of gardeners. They weren't particularly large, but the gardens provided a lovely green break from the rows of grey buildings, a little paradise in a rainy cold city.

Brent and Isabelle talked as they walked along, just about the weather, Brent's work and family, nothing of any real significance. All the while Brent was sure to maintain the proper distance. Isabelle's mother was likely watching from the house, making sure there was no improper touching. No matter how much she wanted Isabelle and Brent to get married, rules still had to be obeyed.

As they walked along they approached a rough patch of ground and Isabelle silently cursed her shoe choice. Brent reached out his hand and Isabelle took it, letting him help her through it. The gentleman helping the lady was really the only time they were aloud to touch hands, when people were looking anyway. He let go of her hand as they continued. Before too long the reached a small hill and Brent reached out his hand again. Isabelle took it, trying not to sigh. They ground wasn't that rocky, she could handle it on her own. A few feet later a small rock sat in the center of the path and Brent offered his hand again. Isabelle paused and shook her head.