Chapter 11

Isabelle walked quickly along the cobblestone roads, trying not to trip over her cloak which was just a little too long. The night was full of life in the underground today. All around her people were hurrying along, talking and laughing. Loud singing and music could be heard in the distance along with drunken shouting. Some people looked up at Isabelle as she passed and she tried to avoid meeting their eyes. She took a deep breath and tried to remind herself once again that no one would know her here. Even if they followed the elections they'd wouldn't recognize her. She was wearing a common dress, quite out of fashion, with the hood of her clock pulled high over her head. Her blonde hair was pulled back into a tight braid that rested over her shoulder. Isabelle didn't know where she was trying to go. It had seemed like a good idea to come here at the time. She paused along the wall of a building and took a few deep breaths. This place was very overwhelming. There was so much happening at once, so much life, and to be honest, Isabelle understood little of it.

The street were crowded but Isabelle decided to keep walking. It looked like her family wasn't the only people looking for a party today. Everywhere around her people of all kinds were about. Some of them drinking and celebrating god knows what, some families out with their children, some people going to shops and stalls that for some reason were still open at this hour. All around her people were talking in groups, unaware or uncaring of the busyness around them. Isabelle looked around in awe and confusion. The nights in her district were never like this.

As Isabelle walked along she saw a man in a dark alley usher another man closer. They whisper quietly and then gold and a package were exchanged. With fugitive looks the one man ran off with the package. Isabelle had no idea what it was but was pretty sure she wouldn't want to know. The other man pocketed his coin and looked up at Isabelle. Isabelle walked away quickly, pretending not to have seen a thing. No matter how different this area was from hers, the basic rules of the city stayed the same, you don't creep into business that's not yours and you keep your mouth shut if you do.

Isabelle was quickly reminded why she avoided the underground. Yes, her family and their friends were fake and their aggression was shown in lies and empty compliments, but perhaps that wasn't so bad. The underground had liars too, even if it was their "honest" profession. The people in these streets, the neighbors laughing together, seemed more real than a lot Isabelle had seen, but even still, perhaps there was something to be said for hiding your skeletons. Here the sales man had not a care and sold their wares with frightening openness and fights with fists and knifes and shouting broke out in the streets. Isabelle jumped back as too fighting men tumbled past her. All the while the other people just ignored and laughed. Yes, perhaps open aggression wasn't so great either.

She felt hands steady her as she stumbled back and looked up to see a face of a young man. His black hair was messy and he smiled revealing a missing tooth. His eyes crinkled when he grinned, at least the one Isabelle could see, for one was covered in a tattered eye patch. He bowed and shot her what she assumed was meant to be a wink.

"Beg my pardon, miss" His Irish accent was strong "But you really ought to watch where you're going. I won't always be around to catch you"

Isabelle said "Well, Thank you. I don't like to make much of a habit of falling so I will be careful" Isabelle tried to turn and scurry on but the street was too crowded. She didn't really want to stop and talk to anyone in this mess.

"My name's O'Malley" He said, stretching out his hand. Not wanting to be rude Isabelle shook it.

"Not to be rude, Miss, but why are you walking around with your hood pulled low like a fugitive, you aren't one are you?" O'Malley asked "I mean, it's not that cold of a night"