Chapter 2: a bloody finding

Chapter 2

I scrubbed the last of the pan as Sophia dashed into the kitchen. “Is he coming?” I asked almost dropping the pan. She shook her head. “I found a way onto the roof.” She said.

“So?” I asked turning around to finish the dishes. I had to finish this job and move onto the next quickly. “So that could be our way out of this place.” She said. She opened her mouth to speak when the door opened and Father strolled in and looked at us.

He pointed this finger at Sophia and brought his finger to him gesturing for her to come to him. She swallowed her breath and walked over to him. As she got to him he grabbed her hair and slammed her into the door. She fell to the floor with a squeak and a tear fell from her face.

“Are you fucking crying!” he yelled. She shook her head. “You don’t cry you don’t get to cry after you killed her!” he yelled. We all knew that when he said ‘Her’ he meant Vivien.  He blamed us for her death. He told us that all her difficulties she had, was because of us somehow.

He grabbed her hair and slammed her onto the ground and stepped on her back making a loud crack. I couldn’t bear to watch. “Get fucking back to work!” he yelled at me. I jumped and turned and picked up the scrub and washed the next item.

I was still cleaning a pot when I kept hearing her screams of horror and pain. I wanted to cry for her, but I promised I would not cry till he was dead. Or I was dead or free. So this could take a while. The door slammed closed and he was gone.

I rushed over to her and gently touched her back and she cried in pain.

I had helped her to a chair and laid her down. I quickly went and finished my chores and rushed back to her.

It was bath night and after she began to get better she had to shower. We got to our separate bathrooms and I cleaned myself savoring the warm hot water on my back that made me shiver with warmth. After we finished we walked down into the basement to the cots we slept on with one pillow and hardly a blanket. It was freezing downstairs that’s why he made us sleep downstairs.

She fell on her cot and began sobbing. I wished I could do the same, but I knew I couldn’t.

She had fallen asleep and I slowly crawled out of my cot and over to a window I have been trying to get to open since I had been here but I never could get open.

I pushed on the window and it made a low creak. I backed up and rammed myself into the window. The glass cracked. I backed up and rubbed my now bleeding shoulder.  I turned back to the window and ran and rammed into it again and glass fell.

I didn’t move hoping that Father didn’t hear it. I waited and then after I made sure he wasn’t coming I reached to the window and grabbed the broken glass and moved them to the floor making the window clear of all g lass. The warm summer night air gifted my skin with a warm embrace.

I got up and pushed myself up and out the window. Outside was dark and warm yet cool. I walked to some trees by the woods. Then as I looked further into the woods there was a fence. And it was barbed wired. Damn

I walked through the woods to the fence that was 10 feet tall and also had an electrocuted fencing box so it was also electrocuted. I sighed and turned back. I found a lose brick on the side of the house and put my foot up and started climbing till I got to the roof.

As I got up I almost fell but I balanced myself up. I stood there looking up at the sky. I loved the sky. My daddy and I used to look at the sky all the time at night. We would catch fireflies and mom would make us snacks and play with us.

I missed them so much. And I went to a birthday party for a girl I didn’t know but my parents quilted me into going.  And now I regretted it. I heard a rustling in the bushes and thought it was him but it wasn’t.

I felt as if I was being watched. I turned toward the bush and something big and black dashed out from the bush and dashed toward the fence and I heard footsteps running away.

Was someone here? If so are they going to get help! Please do.

I got off the roof and climbed through the window and went and got my blanket and covered the window with it so it wouldn’t be noticed and walked over to the cot and I was warm that night.

And it was the first night where I didn’t have a nightmare.