Chapter 16

Blue and I walk in silence along the beach, enjoying the remainder of the hot summer's day. Blue walks close to me, keeping her eyes everywhere, making sure the person who was after her wasn't around. She was probably also making sure her father wouldn't return after she had ran off from him earlier. I assure her that everything was going to be alright.

We stay out on the beach for a while before heading to my old apartment to have dinner with my folks.

Dinner was a bit awkward every time my parents asked Blue something, and she would silently sit there. My parents kept looking to me for answers. I'm sure I have told them that she was mute.

I didn't tell my parents what had happened to Blue and me earlier this morning. I didn't want them to worry, or think I shouldn't be hanging around Blue. I was thankful I was eighteen so the police didn't need to call up my parents, telling them everything what I had done. They would never lay off my back, and I would probably be grounded for months.

"So the big move is next weekend," I say. "Do you guys need a hand with moving?"

Mum smiles at me, holding up her glass of red wine to her lips. "Of course, dear. You're welcome to help us. Your father and I could use all the help we can get." She looks over at Blue. "You're welcome to help out too, Blue." Mum takes a sip of her wine.

Blue smiles shyly at Mum, and carries on eating the baked dinner Mum had cooked.

"Rhett said he will help out as well," I tell my parents.

Mum places her glass down. "Oh, that would be great, Riley."

There's a brief silence before my father speaks.

"Riley, your mother and I had a chance to go through Tiffany's belongings this afternoon," Dad says.

There's a tear in my heart when Dad mentions my sister's name. I knew the day would come when we had to pack away my sister's belongings, but truthfully I was hoping at the same time that we didn't have to. I still don't want to come to the conclusion she was never coming back. I wanted to believe that there was a chance that detectives had gotten it wrong and she was still alive. But she wasn't.

"Before your mother and I begin the packing," Dad continues on, "we want to know if there is anything of hers you would like to keep. We are planning to give away her belongings. I know you asked once if you could have her Disney figurine collection. Would you still like the collection?"

I don't answer him straight away. Instead I was trying my best to hold back the tears forming in my eyes. I couldn't cry. Not right now. Not here. I need to stay strong. Tiffany wouldn't want me to keep crying over her.

I put down my fork on the plate with a clutter. I push back my chair and steal up from it without asking if I could be excuse. I turn away before anyone could see the tears on my eyes, and walk out on the balcony. I was greeted by the cool breeze, leaning up against the railing and look out on the dark sea in the distance, where the sound of the waves made me want to go out there.

The sliding door opens behind me, but I don't turn, knowing it's one of my parents who will want to talk. Right now I didn't want to talk to either of them. I just wanted to be left alone.

"Mum, Dad, I don't want to talk," I tell them, as one of them closes the door. "I just want to be left alone for a few minutes."

Someone stands beside me, leaning on the railing. I turn to see that instead of my parents, it was Blue.

I quickly wipe my eyes, sniffing. "Blue. You didn't have to join me out here. You could have stayed inside."

Blue reaches out and rests her hand on mine that's resting on the railing. I glance down at her hand where I felt a tingling feeling from her touch. I glance up at her. She stares at me with a concern look on her face.