Chapter 20

Devon drives Rhett and me to Redwood National Park. The whole car ride there is silent, not even the radio was on. I sit in the front passenger seat, lost in my thoughts thinking about my sister and if Blue will be alright. Could we make it there before the killer does anything to her? I hope so. I don't want to live the rest of my life knowing that I could have prevented her death.

As we get closer to the National Park, my stomach twisted into knots, making me nauseous. There were different areas of the park we could go to, but I wanted to go to the one where Tiffany was found. Maybe I'm wrong if this is where the killer will bring Blue next, but something told me that this is where he will kill her.

Devon pulls into a car park. There are families around, and there is no doubt that the killer will be here right now. Not in board daylight.

"What do you want to do, Riley?" Rhett asks me.

I glance around the picnic area where one family was playing a game of cricket, while another family was sitting under the shelters having a barbecue. The smell of sausages fill the air, making my stomach grumble. I eye the trees where you could walk along trails to go bush walking. I don't know exactly where Tiffany's body was found, but I know it was somewhere along the trail. Her body was discovered by some bush walkers.

"It doesn't look like the guy is here with her," Devon points out even though we have no clue on what vehicle this guy drives. "Are you sure he would bring her here."

"I'm sure." I unbuckle my seat belt and then turn in my seat to look at Rhett. "We are going to have to stay out here until dark."

"Dark? Riley, we can't stay here until dark," Rhett tells me. "The Park Ranger will come around and tell us to leave."

"Yeah, and do you think it will be wise if my car is parked here when the killer comes," Devon says. "He is going to know you will be waiting for him, and might go somewhere else."

Devon is right. "Well, why don't you head back home? Rhett and I will be right here."

Devon shakes his head. "No. I'm not going to leave you two out here all by yourself. What if something happens to you?"

I think for a moment to how I could answer this. "Rhett and I will wait here until he comes. When we spot him with Blue, we will call you and you call the police."

Devon stares between us, unsure if he really wanted to go with my plan. I'm not going to lie, but I was unsure myself. I don't want to think about what danger Rhett and I will be in as we wait for the killer to come here with Blue. I don't even know how we were going to rescue her safely without getting ourselves safely. Even as I hold the knife from our kitchen drawer at my side, I wasn't even sure if it will hold any protection between us with someone who has a gun.

"Okay," Devon answers. "You hang out here until you spot him and call me. I'm also going to be somewhere nearby. I can't stand the idea of going back home and something happens to you. There's plenty of trees in this car park so I will hide my car amongst them. But sunset isn't going to be for a while. I don't know about you, but I'm starving and I do not want to wait around on an empty stomach. So what do you say we leave, get something to eat and come back here later."

We agreed to do that, although food was not on my mind right now. My stomach twists into my knots. Where was Blue right now? What is that jerk doing to her? Will the police be able to track him down before he does anything?

I only hope I am right, and that he is going to bring her back here.

* * *

We head back once it's sunset. Devon waits in the car like he had said he will, hiding his car behind some trees in which I hope the killer doesn't spot. Rhett and I head to the trees, keeping our eyes on the car park in case he shows. I have no idea when this guy will show.