Chapter 13

I wake up from a nightmare. I dreamt that the person who murdered Tiffany came after me.

I lie there on the couch in the darkness, staring up at the ceiling that I couldn't see at all. I listen to the waves crashing onto the shore across the street. But the waves weren't the only thing I could hear. I could hear the faint sound of someone sobbing. At first I thought it was Mum, as I sometimes hear her in the middle of the night since my sister died, crying. I haven't heard her lately. As the sobbing continued, I realise it wasn't Mum. It was Blue.

I get up and hurry to my room before my parents hear her sobbing. I tap gently on the door before opening it.

"Blue?" I reach for the light, switching it on.

Blue is sitting up in my bed, her face buried in her knees as she hugged her legs. I closed the door, and walk over to her, sitting down on the bed.

"Blue?"

She doesn't look up at me or respond. I shouldn't expect an answer from her. I place an arm around her, hoping she wouldn't pull away or snap at me for coming too close to her. When she doesn't pull away, I wrap my other arm around Blue and pull her closer to me where she cries into my chest. I stroke one hand through her hair and the other one I rubbed up and down her back.

"It's okay, Blue."

We stay in other's arms for a long time until she finally pull away from me. Her eyes are red and puffy from crying.

"Do you want to tell me what happened?"

Blue just stared at me without saying anything.

"Was it a nightmare that has gotten you all shaken up?"

Blue nods.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

She takes her head.

I stay with her a little while longer, hoping she would change her mind and tell me everything, but she doesn't. When she doesn't say anything, I say goodnight and leave the room so we both could get some sleep.

* * * * *

After my morning surf, I call up my boss to let him know I wouldn't be coming into work today. I needed to be packing so I could move my belongings to Rhett's apartment over the weekend when my parents also move. I text Rhett to let him know what's happening, and he promised to come by after work to help me to start moving some of my things.

Before I do anything, I check on Blue. I tap softly on the door and then open it. She is still sleeping. I let her continue sleeping, and went to take a shower. I dress into the clothes I wore yesterday. I didn't want to enter my room for fresh clothes if Blue was still sleeping.

Dad left for work, and when I enter the kitchen, I find a note on the table written by mum. She had gone for a walk and was going to the shops later. For all I know, Mum is probably going shopping to distract herself from my decision to move out.

I search the kitchen for something to eat for breakfast. We were low on food, only because Mum wasn't planning to go shopping until the move, but at least my kitchen was nothing compare to Rhett's and Devon's kitchen.

I found a bottle of pancake mixture in the pantry. I grab a frying pan and egg flipper, and began cooking them. Once they were done, I place the pancakes on a plate is the centre of the table. I also place some strawberries and blueberries, along with whipped cream and chocolate sauce in the centre with the pancakes. I set another two plates on the table for both Blue and I when she walks into the kitchen.

"Good morning, Blue. Did you sleep well?"

She nods.

"I made pancakes for us. Sit down and eat."