Chapter 11

After checking on the girl in the morning, where she was still fast asleep, I leave to go back to my own apartment. Going home wasn't something I really wanted right now, but I know I needed to face my parents eventually.

I had no key on me, so I had to knock on the door. I hear footsteps on the other side as they hurry to the door. Mum swings it open, her eyes red and bags under them from not sleeping well last night. When she sees that it is me, she bursts into tears and pulls me into a hug, squeezing me tightly. As soon as her arms is around me, I feel the guilt I had just put my parents through by not notifying them where I had been all night, especially with the incident that happened with Tiffany.

I glance at my father who stands beside the couch. He too had bags under his eyes from being up all night. He gives me a furious look that I knew even though he was at mad at me now, he will definitely forgive me what I have put them through.

I should have just answered the call rather than declining it, but I just couldn't speak to them at the time.

"Where have you been?" Dad asks me. "Why didn't you answer my call?"

I pull away from my mother. "I'm sorry. I didn't want to talk at the time. I spent the night at Rhett's."

"You could have texted me if you didn't want to talk."

I nod. "I know. I should have. I'm sorry."

Mum wraps her arms around me again. "Oh honey, I'm just so happy that you're alright."

She pulls away and then Dad walks over to give me a hug also. He holds me for a while in his arms before letting go.

"Listen, your mother and I have been talking. We're sorry about what we said last night, and if you don't want to receive any counselling, that's fine. If surfing is what is helping you to cope, then that's fine also. Your mother and I are here if you want to talk."

I nod. "I promise you guys."

I leave my parents and head to my room. I change into fresh clothes, and then tell my parents I was spending the day with Rhett. Before I leave, Dad reminds me to tell him and my mother where I am if I come home late. Like I didn't know I needed to do that already.

Devon opens the door for me when I knocked.

"She is up," he informs me. "I told her you quickly went back up to your apartment and will be back down. She locked herself in the room. Rhett and I are trying to get her out to see if she wants anything to eat for breakfast, but she won't answer."

"She is very quiet." Devon closes the door behind me. "She doesn't speak at all. That's why she won't answer."

"So is she muted?"

I nod. "Yes, she is."

We head over to the spare room where Rhett stood, knocking on the door. No matter how many times he knocked, the girl still would not answer the door, or make any kind of noise to let us know she was alright.

Rhett sees me, and steps aside. He then suggested to Devon that the two of them should sit in the kitchen while I try to get the girl out.

I knock. "Hello? It's Riley. I'm back. You can open the door now."

Silence remained on the other side.

"Please open up. My friends are really worried about you."

Silence.

I wait for a few minutes before I decide to join my friends in the kitchen. As I'm about to turn away, I hear the click of the lock. The knob turns and then the door opens a bit. The girl peaks through, but doesn't open the door all the way.