Chapter 15

I headed back to work to finish the remainder of my shift. It was probably pointless considering how long I was at the station, and there was only two hours left of work. My boss was happy I had come in. I thought I would be in trouble for running out of the store and being arrested. Rhett explained everything to him, and he understood what had happened. I promised him I will work one of my day offs.

After work I headed back to the apartment to find my wetsuit so I could go surfing before the sun goes down. Rhett informed me that he had a date with Kaylie tonight, and Devon was doing band practice at one of his mates' house, so tonight I would have the apartment to myself. Of course I was having dinner with my parents, but I had no idea how long I would be staying with them.

As I made my way to the apartment, I search for Blue's face amongst the crowd. I knew she wouldn't be here, but I wanted the hope that I could see her again. Only the hope crushes inside my chest.

Even when I walked into Rhett's apartment, I was hoping for her to emerge from a room to greet me, but she doesn't. She was gone.

I search for my wetsuit in the boxes. It doesn't take me long to find it. Before I get a chance to get undress, I hear the buzzing sound from the intercom to inform me someone was up front.

I press the intercom. "Yes, hello?"

I wait for a reply but no one answers.

"Hello, is anyone there?"

There was still no response, and I figured that maybe it was just kids playing a prank. And then Blue pops into my mind. What if she is the one who is at the door?

I open the door and hurry to the front entrance to see Blue through the glass. My face lit up as soon as I see her. She smiles at me, waving.

I swing open the door, pulling her into a hug. "I'm so happy to see you, Blue. I thought I would never be able to see you again." I pull away from her. "What are you doing here? I thought you would have gone home with your dad."

Blue shakes her head.

I take her hand and lead her inside the apartment. I grab a notepad and pen, handing it to Blue. I repeat my previous question to her.

I don't want to live at home anymore, she writes. I love my dad, but sometimes he forgets I'm not a little girl anymore and that I want to see the world. I ran away from home is search for something new. After Dad picked me up from the police station, I took off to return here.

I smile at her. "Well, it's good to see you. I was worried I wouldn't be able to see you again. Did you tell your Dad you are staying with me?"

My relationship with him is okay. He is a great father, especially when he had to raise seven girls on his own after my mother died when I was young. I'm the youngest of septuplets, and the only one of my sisters who is the complete opposite. Dad pushes me to be more like my sisters.

I was amaze with how much Blue was opening up to me where as before she was completely private about her life. I guess maybe after she had been arrested and with me knowing she was a missing person, there pretty much aren't many secrets I don't know about her. At least I think so. There were still things I wanted to know about her, hoping she would trust me enough to tell me more about herself that I don't already know.

"Wow. Septuplets. Is that why you ran away? Because you were tired of having your dad to push you to be like your sisters?"

Blue nods as she wrote. I wanted to explore the world, but he wouldn't let me. I dropped out of school because it just wasn't for me. He kept saying how important it was for me to stay in school, and get excellent grades like my sisters. So I ran away, hoping to explore things and find what would make me happy. Dad just refused to see what I want.