Chapter 21

It's been hours of running through the high fields, looking for Thresh. To my right I see a pond of shimmering blue water. I'm so hungry. Maybe if I drink some water, it'll occupy my hunger and fill me up. I kneel down beside the pond and cup some water in my hands. The water was way too hot from the sun beating down at it. I spit the water back out into the pond when I hear a deep laugh from behind me.

"Why hello, Cato." he says with an evil grin. I try to find words to say, but all I can see in my mind is him holding Clove by the throat, like a rag doll.

"You killed her! She didn't kill Rue!" I scream at him. I now stand up and am inches away from his face his dark face.

"Then who did?" He asks, strictly.

"Marvel, the boy from 1. Clove and I were at the Cornucopia, trying to find out who blew up our supplies." I hiss. I want Clove back. I know I'm giving him too much information, but I really don't care anymore. I just want to kill him and then join Clove in the after-life.

"She had to die."

"No! She didn't!" I yell at him, pushing his shoulders back.

"THRESH! HELP!" A voice cried. The voice, it was Rue's voice, the twelve year old tribute from 11. "Thresh!"

"CATO! CATO!" I hear another voice. My heart shatters again, this was Clove's voice, when she was yelling for me at the Cornucopia. I look up in the sky, tears threatening to take over my sight, but I push them back down.

"CLOVE!" I shout. I feel silly, why am I calling out to her? She's dead. She's never coming back. And then I see a big black bird fly right above my head... a jabber jay. Jabberjays are mutations were they can repeat and memorize anything you've ever said. Thresh and I begin to run deep into the fields. I just want the birds to stop screeching in Clove's voice. My heart aches knowing that it's all my fault that she died, and now I have to listen to these screams over and over again.

"AHHHH!" I hear Thresh scream. Did he have any type of relationship with Rue? He must have since he's not handling this well.

"CATO! CATO."

"YOU PROMISED WE'D WIN TOGETHER!"

"YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO GUARD ME!"

Clove's voice keeps repeating over and over. Enough is enough. I take my sword out and begin to kill these damn birds. One by one they start dropping from the sky, and Thresh helps me kill them as well. Finally once they're all dead, I turn my attention back to Thresh his beady eyes were hazel and fierce .

"Thanks." I mutter.

"No problem, so where were we?" He asks, his lips curling into an evil smile. Is that what Clove and I looked like? The thought made me wanna throw up. I can't believe we look so... monstrous.

"You killed my love, now your gonna die." I say, the words coming out slowly.

Thresh's fist connects with my jaw and I fall hard to the ground. Why do people always punch me there?! I get back up on my feet and growl at his laughing figure.

I slowly lift my sword up into a blocking position while he picks up a curved sword.

"On guard." He announces too formally. Let the games begin, for real. We fight, are swords clanging together and after what feels like forever, my and slips and Thresh slices off one of my pinky finger on my left hand, good thing I'm right handed.

"Gahh!" I shout , in pain. Blood starts trickling down my arm, but I don't care. I need to kill Thresh and then I can die.

I force him backwards and stab his foot. He yells on the top of his lungs and tumbles to the ground with a loud thud.

"Any last words?" I ask while placing my foot on top of his rock hard chest, to hold him in place.

"Please. Please don't kill me. My little brother will be watching this-"

"Funny. You expect me to pitty you? Clove begged you too, she has a little brother as well. And now he's alone, because she was like a mother to him. She practically raised him. But you killed her, so now I'm gonna kill you." I say and Thresh closes his eyes so that he doesn't have to watch my next move.

"I'm sorry-" he begins to say.

"No you're not. Besides, sorry's not gonna bring her back to life now, is it?" I ask.

I bring my sword down and shove it through his chest, piercing his flesh straight at his heart. "You deserve to go to hell. You're just as bad as the rest of us." I say and a cannon goes off. Bye bye Thresh.

----------------------------------------------

I don't know how I fell asleep, but I'm up now. I hear sounds of howling, heavy breathing, growling and loud footsteps. I blink my eyes open and I'm lying down beside a tree trunk. How did that happen? I push myself up to the ground and I hear a deep, low growl. I look up to see a giant dog, no this isn't a dog... it's a mutt, one of the Capitol's creations for the big finale for me, Peeta and Katniss. But there was something strange about this mutt, and then it hits me. They we're all created to look like one of the fallen tributes and this one... was Glimmer. She had long, blonde silky hair and the same lifeless green eyes that used to stare at me all the time. But now, there's something different in her facial expression, she's furious... at me.

She glares at me and licks her lips, excited for a kill. Oh no. I want to die, but I'd like to die peacefully with poisonous berries or something like that! I begin to run, the fastest I could ever run and then the Glimmer mutt attacks me.

"GAHHH!" I shout. She rips parts of my shirt off revealing my skin, making it scratched and bloody.

"Get off of me!" I snarl. I try to stab it with my sword, but missed. Right as it's about to rip off my head, it gets thrown across to the other side or the arena. I look up to see who my hero was, and it's the person I wanted to see... she's still beautiful in mutt form. She had long brown fur and twinkling green eyes. There was a silver dog tag around her neck reading "2". This can only be one person.

Clove.

___________________________

Hey :) thanks for reading!!! I think after this one there'll be one last chapter and then an epilogue (:

-madison xxoo